View Single Post
Old 2012-08-18, 05:49   Link #3
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
As for overrated writer, the only one comes in my mind is Hiroyuki Yoshino. I have to wonder how does he keep getting work. At least he needs some assistance. He does all around poor job at writing the protagonists and especially bad at writing the villains. Watching the series he's responsible for feels like a chore. I'm having a hard time trying to think of series that he's done I liked. Everytime he gets work, I'm one of the others that has to roll my eyes.
Not really sure if he's overrated, but I must say, this writer seems to write what I consider the opposite of everything I look in a good anime-- basically an overload of black and white morality, plot holes that would sink a ship, and insulting fanservice that ruins otherwise potentially sensual (aka good fanservice) situations and some of the worst male characters I've ever seen (And yes, I know Okada's mentioned already ) He seems to be his own worst enemy, since there are good ideas and concepts of characters but they just get ruined by the above. It seems work with him involved has better female characters and cliffhangers seems to be common.

Well, this didn't always seem to be true. Mai-HiME was great in spite of these tendencies though though then the end part came and whatever goodwill I had with that was thrown out the window when they shit out Otome. But IMO it seems that what elements of what I perceive as degradation in his writing starting with the tail end of Hime/and later Otome finally reached fruition in Guilty Crown, and god damn, it's ugly. I could go on about some others but I've done that enough already.

My opinion of course; I'm sure plenty of unnamed writers are worse. Also, it's hard to attibute everything about a show to single staff member. They aren't exactly free to write whatever they want, and exectuive meddling and other restrictions apply. But like I've always said, you take responsibility for something when you attach your name.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-08-18 at 06:06.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote