View Single Post
Old 2012-03-20, 00:13   Link #98
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
I am speechless. This anime is nothing but a profane perversion of the novel in my eyes now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
Thanks for that. I was about to ask how closely this episode mapped to the novel. Holy crap, this adaptation sucks ass. A shame because the first few episodes were so promising. Besides the ridiculousness of this episode, at least now I understand why the beach episode felt so off too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kron View Post
this anime completely butchered the original novel. it's not even the same thing at this point. it's just a massive f***fest right now. disappointed
Well, I wouldn't rate the anime too harshly based on some things it did different from the novel as the original source had it's fair share of problems as well. The novel mainly suffered from being too drawn out, spanning almost 700 pages of hints and traces of things happening but never really kicking into gear. I was basically yelling, "DO SOMETHING FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!!", at the pages...
I also liked the anime for actually giving the classmates faces and personalities as everybody besides the main characters remained in a faceless crowd with entirely interchangable lines here and there. Maybe that was the point, making the deaths so low-key that you actually feel how people tend to forget they ever happened (Ogura Atsushi's death is simply mentioned in passing, like a radio announcement) but I liked the anime for actually engaging me in the action.

In the end they have two completely different approaches. The novel is told completely through Kouichi's perspective (with the exception of some very few inserts) while the anime gives a rounder picture. I think they just didn't feel like letting most of the characters just fade into the background during the final 2 episodes...though what they did in the end was pretty awkward.

I like the anime as an adaptation even though they had some strange original ideas and went a little overboard on visual presentation. Still they did a pretty good job of losing some of the drawn out portions of the novel while keeping the original spirit...it's just that some of the awkward ideas have such an impact on the whole series that they kinda ruin the good job they did overall.