Thread: Licensed Tari Tari
View Single Post
Old 2012-09-24, 07:13   Link #1476
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Not quite as good as the Hanasaku Iroha finale (which was an easy 10/10), but it largely followed in its footsteps concluding with a hopeful, heartwarming and bittersweet ending. Things I really liked or lold regarding the episode:

1. Wakana lovebento round 2.

2. Kontasu being derpy with her dolphin plushy.

3. The high school musical drama. Tari Tari takes a page outta the American TV series "Glee"

4. Double ass-slap on Sawa by Wakana and Konatsu! Revenge is sweet

5. The subtle interaction between Sawa and Taichi particularly the bit where what they say was deliberately omitted. I -really- liked this. Best part of the episode actually. This is how you do romance element for a non-romance show folks, and I give shippers no sympathy since Tari Tari was never a romance series. So Nyah Nyah .

6. The graduation scene in the gym. The song and presentation of the scene was great.

7. The epilogue showing Tanaka playing badminton, Wien finding Jan, Konatsu making college friends and Wakana looking sexy in casual clothings and high heels (mature ftw).

There were two things however, that caused an eyebrow to rise or so:

1. The whole Chairman incident. Manufactured and artificial drama and made the chairman look like a Disney Channel villain.

2. The Vice Principal pulling down the chairman's pants and then getting fired. Talk about his pride being totally destroyed and him being emasculated. Please tell me Mari Okada wasn't writing this scene by off-chance....

Otherwise, it was a very solid finish to an excellent series. Tari tari confirms that PA Works' slice of life anime originals are some of the best in the industry for the genre and it's pretty much locked in I'll be watching their shows in the future.

In a nutshell, Tari Tari is simplicity done to its finest. The premise is standard, the cast is standard, but it's full of heart, genuinity and is the definition of unpretentious. Perfect balance of comedy and drama, lighthearted and seriousness, and unlike many drama shows (*cough Anohana, Ano Natsu, Kokoro Connect *cough) it seldom goes overboard with melodrama (only the Sawa arc I will question) and the lighthearted moments are pinpoint, sharp and don't linger on unlike those Japanese gag-centric shows. For me, Tari Tari is what K-on never was, and what Hanasaku Iroha -nearly was- (though Iroha was still excellent) by combining both a musical element and coming of age without resorting to one-dimensional moe pandering or outrageous plot decisions (*e.g. Iroha episode 3*).

Not quite the perfect show I hoped for, but it's close. Tied with Jinrui and Hyouka for favourite of the season at which I rate all three 8.5/10s, being a shy away from making my all-time favourite lists (9/10 is cutoff).

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2012-09-24 at 08:00.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote