View Single Post
Old 2010-07-27, 22:49   Link #7003
madmac

Quote:
Actually, that scene is one rather complicated if you ask me, but I don't think it was romantic at all. If you remember correctly, he remembered Nagi's crying face. Now that we have all the info about his past with Athena, we know why that image came to his mind. As for the little sister thing, what Hayate thought was "I wonder if this is what a brother feels like when he's worried about his little sister." If you've read the entire manga, as I assume you have, that much describes the development they have had quite perfectly.
Well, I'm using the official translation here. I don't have much time to chat tonight, but the relevant lines are "But Back then, why did Ojo-sama's face come to mind? Could it be I think of Ojo-sama as...?" and "This is probably how it feels to fuss over a little sister..."

(I wouldn't call this scene romantic, exactly, just interesting.)

In any event, I'm tired so I'm skipping this for now.

Quote:
Well, this is hard to say. The whole butler deal is indeed the main part of the plot, but the romance has also become one of the major things in the manga. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of people who read the manga for the latter is as large or maybe even larger than the people who read this manga for the former reason.

When you have characters like Hina and Ayumu who have had a lot of romantic development for the entire manga, or like Athena who have been introduced almost purely for that purpose, you can say there's also other side to this manga.

I don't know. A no romantic end wouldn't surprise me at all. In fact, is one of the endings I'm actually expecting, but I've got to admit that, in my opinion, it would be terribly off-putting.
Well, again, you're thinking of these romantic subplots as being something separate from the main story, while I consider them fairly typical romantic rival/drama stuff. (Typical in concept, anyway. As always this manga excels in the execution and characterization, which is why I love it so much.) And I do love my cheesy romance, don't get me wrong.

To me, this series didn't add romance later, it was a romantic comedy from the get-go with Hayate/Nagi/Maria forming the initial love triangle and other relationships added as things went along.

I'll chat more in the morning...

Last edited by madmac; 2010-07-27 at 23:22.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote