Thread: Licensed Vivid Red Operation
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-22, 15:21   Link #95
desrtsku
Nympholept

^ erm, without trying to be slightly off topic or rude, isn't Unicorn the living example of the good real robot genre coming back to our age? O.o Even though it's probably at the current date the only one, (and considering you're not a fan of the Code Geass genre either that is) it better than nothing ... I'd even say it's really worth praising.
Also it's not like I'm forcing it, but the current movie remake of a certain bio-mecha anime series whose third episode will premiere this fall isn't bad at all either, even though it's not the real mecha genre you guys used to admire ... but I guess it might be up to people's taste ^^"

Back on topic :

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
the fact the protagonist will be a girl will give an interesting twist (given Mecha is traditionally dominated by guys)

Sorry, I missed that one earlier. ^^"

Not really, the mecha genre has been filled with girls for ages already. There's several mecha anime title whose main charaters are girls that can be mentioned in that premise (Sora wo kakeru shojo, Idolm@ster xenoglossia, Rinne no Lagrange, etc ...) but they're still a minority compared to the outstanding number of mecha anime with male lead out there though. However if you also count supporting characters piloting too, then, I'd say it's even more balanced than what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
The question is if they can squeeze something new out. The hints seem to point towards a slightly mythic vibe, and the fact the protagonist will be a girl will give an interesting twist (given Mecha is traditionally dominated by guys). What would put me off if it's just going for a generic Moé or Harem angle. That said, I don't see them going through this whole "hint hint" rigamarole for a generic show.
About that it's pretty much confirmed since the beginning that it'll be moe (Dengeki G+aniplex+girls = Angel beats for instance ), though it's pretty hard for the "harem angle" because of the circumstances set by the said hints that have been revealed so far. And in that regard the chance of it being a real mecha anime is also pretty low, to be accurate certain hints pretty much confirmed that it's a mecha musume one.
As for the story and if this anime will bring any kind or innovation to its genre is currently unknown. Truth to be told, everything mentioned so far in this thread were pure speculation. But, probably (I said probably) if the identity of the main staff will be revealed we might be able to tell if a genre deconstruction is possible or not. But until, then I advise you not to put your hopes too high