View Single Post
Old 2013-02-19, 18:14   Link #425
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Oh, I'm sorry, I though we were talking about Graham's relevance to the plot.

But then, even if I look beyond Graham... nope, still essential to the plot.

.... Yes? And? What does attachment have to do with relevance to the plot?

.... Except the overall plot doesn't work if you just remove Graham.

Again, short list. No Graham means:

No Hayate living alone.
No Book of Darkness responding to Hayate's loneliness.
No Hayate wishing to just live with the Wolkenritter.
No Lieze twins.
No stopping Chrono from arresting Shamal with the book.
No stopping Nanoha from blasting Vita into submission.
No stopping the Fate/Signum fight.
No stopping Nanoha and Fate talking sense into the Wolkenritter on the hospital roof.
No completion of the Book of Darkness by absorbing the knights.
No tricking Hayate into thinking she was betrayed by her friends.
No Hayate triggering the Book's activation in despair.
No Durandal to seal the book's movement to allow the transfer.

The only way to fix these plotholes is to rewrite them. But if you are forced to rewrite scenes, that just shows how essential the scenes, and thus the character that steered them, are.

Nothing subjective about it.
You still don’t see why he is just a role. In the end it doesn’t matter how Hayate lives alone. All she really needs is money, and that can be easily solved. The rest we will need to see how it goes. You are not even open to the possibility that this might happen and actually it happen already, the movie A’s remove this crucial character, so why can’t we just wait and see of this makes sense? I mean is not just me talking about what the character looks like to me but also what it looks to the author who take him out without problems. If he was so needed then he should still be there, right?

I am always saying the character fits the plot but that is not one of its crucial parts. Like Amy or Randy or any of the TSAB staff. They just fit a role. Amy’s role is just to monitor Nanoha and Fate and handle the consol. I think any other character could fit that post and we lost little there. Graham is the same, and in no way this means he doesn’t belong there, just that he is not the key part.

Besides Hayate will be alone even without Graham. I don’t think he kill her family and then plot to make her get the Book. So Graham is needed for Hayate to feel lonely after losing her parents? She could be with a new family and still feel loneliness and emptiness and get the book. Again we are not going to get anywhere, can we just move on?