View Single Post
Old 2013-07-16, 20:13   Link #33
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Actually, Clairvoyant and Fashionista are proper translations.
To begin with, Yasuhiro with "shaman" doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Clairvoyant is closer to the real meaning of 占い師, which is fortune teller.
Meanwhile, Junko's title is 超高校級の「ギャル」. ギャル is a slang term from US "gal" to name girls who are really into fashion, make up and the likes (some extreme exemple would be the subgroup named "ganguro").
Which means that Junko is actually a girl who follows closely fashion tendencies and all. It is -not- the same as a model, whose job is to promote fashion. Hence why Fashionista is actually the correct translation.
Same thing can be said for Celes's title: high roller doesn't make much sense, while she is just... well a gambler. Same for Leon, and "all star" which implies he can do any sport stuff despite he only excels at Baseball.

Funnily enough, NISA "changed" a mistake they have put so far: Hifumi title was "fanboy" the moment the site was created, and now got changed today as "otaku", but still got quite wrong, considering it is doujin author instead.
Byakuya title is overcomplicated despite heir or scion would work plenty. Mondo's title is overexaggerating his role and will lead to issue with SDR2.
Meanwhile, Sayaka's "pop star" and Kyotaka "moral compass" are just so wrong in so many levels it isn't even funny to me.

On another note, Zetsubou project translation was some sort of mixed bag to me: at times, they really sound like localizing company and changed the meaning of too many things. For instance, Genicoder explanations about her "art" is that she admits being a fujoshi. However, ZP made her say "it is just hot" to do guys, that's it.
Whereas I understand they can't afford using honorics due to the texbox size, it did kill at times how interactions went (Aoi and Hifumi being the main oddball about these). It also change a bit how Genocider considers Byakuya whom she doesn't see as a white knight at all.
They did a good job in general to the point it sure blows some other projects of the same caliber, but some stuff got lost in the process. That being said, NISA is arguably not a company I would praise for their faithfulness in their localization... (I'm looking at you, Neptune series).

Last edited by Klashikari; 2013-07-16 at 20:27.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote