View Single Post
Old 2009-03-10, 23:13   Link #130
TinyRedLeaf
Feeling comfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
But my point was that -keeping downloading out of the picture-
there's only so much anime you can watch while the studios keep churning out more and more
Actually, if we go by Toua's observation, there are already fewer new titles scheduled for this spring than last year, so it appears that supply is falling in tandem with declining demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
There is a market. And there is an audience. And there is the question whether there is a bursting anime bubble. And when you look at what generates the traffic in this forum, then - random popular example - Toradora beats Miyazaki's whole opus. So the question what happens to the anime subculture is not decided at Studio Ghibli but at the studios that produce the Toradora's.
Ah, then you've taken my comparison out of context. It was not my intention to use Ghibli as a representative for the entire anime industry.

Regardless of Shinkai's relative merits as a creator, the point remains that a production of comparable quality to those churned out by full-fledged studios can be be carried out on a very small budget. (I highly suspect, though, that Shinkai called in several favours in order to get by on just US$220,000 for 5 Centimetres Per Second.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life
Oh, and Toradora definitely is nothing one has to be ashamed of watching - but its appeal is not based on a big animation budget or that somebody at least makes it look good.
I highly doubt Toradora! was "cheap" to make. According to industry representatives, a single episode of a typical anime series costs around US$120,000 to produce. So, a 20+ episode project like Toradora! could easily cost a studio between US$2 million and US$3 million. That's hardly small change, even for a show aimed at a highly-targeted audience.

Finally, to what extent is the anime market driven by otaku spending? They may be the most vocal segment, but that doesn't necessarily mean they've got the biggest spending power. Also, the industry is likely to ruin itself by catering only to a niche, instead of expanding its appeal.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote