View Single Post
Old 2008-03-02, 04:59   Link #1099
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon Sniper View Post
Yes I did see the CE contrary to what my posts seem to insinuate. But the tiny difference that you speak is only aesthetic, and the way the Amuro aspect was handled in Destiny (but this aspect was major). Story wise, it is just similar to the recurring Gundam theme, except it was handled differently by the director and showed another aspect of war. I was just asking you what makes SEED unique, and you answered them already (Hirai's designs) ; I was just asking you if you think that beside this fact, is there any other factor that makes SEED and Destiny unique than its other predecessors.
Beside the mood/air, teen j-drama convention and "only" aesthetic aspects? No. At least not among the things that I consider really major groundbreaking differences. Notice that SEED differs MUCH from MSG in practically everything except basic plot skeleton and, as in Destiny, the use of some mecha designs. That's why I consider SEED to be unique among other G-franchise. Not only it is a big homage to original series, but the aesthetic form, which, unlike u seem to impute with the use of word "only", is a CRUCIAL trait here, IMO.

As for your analogies for characters:

Quote:
* Murrue, Talia = female Brights, but weren't that Bright enough (Noah Bright the captain)
* Natarle = female Bright done right, but was killed off
* Athrun, Mwu (as "Neo"), Rau = some parts of being an CHAR, Athrun also inherits Amuro's talents in creating robot pets (Haro) and Bright as well (because of the Athrunslap)
* Kira = not Amuro Rei enough (except Kira got some of Amuro's talents in designing)
* Fllay = an Lalah, some Beltorchika thrown in for good measure ("Beltorchika chasing Amuro in Zeta" kind of Beltorchika), Chan, but was killed off
* Cagalli = Minerva Zabi (oh crap I just realized that just now )
* Lacus = just wasn't that Haman enough
* ZAFT Supreme Council = ZEON, Neo Zeon
* EA = Federation
* Dullindal = Scirocco
* Shinn = he just wasn't that Kamille enough ;____;, also, a bit of a Katz for letting Rey-Sarah influence him
* Lunamaria = just wasn't that Fa enough either
* Stellar = just wasn't that Four enough either ;____;
* Rey = Sarah
* Meer = Reccoa
* Sting, Auel, Orga, Clotho, Shani = random CPUs
* Djibril, Azrael = random Federation bigwigs
* random Archangel/Minerva bridge bunny/hangar crew =White Base/Argama bridge bunny crew/hangar crew
* Archangel = not that White Base enough
* Minerva = not that Argama enough
* Akatsuki = Nu Gundam + Hyaku Shiki
* Strike Freedom = Quebeley (+ Gundam Double X)
You seem to merge and mix the traits of the characters in such a careless way that I really don't see a strong analogy here. I can also say that Kira is like Luke Skywalker, Kagalli is like Leia, Athrun+Mwu is a mixture of Han Solo+Biggs+Obi-Wan, Rau is like the mixture of Boba Fett and evil Anakin Skywalker, Djibril and Azrael are some "random Imperial bigheads" and Dullindal is like a younger Emperor, but not "Palpatinish" enough etc. And hence SEED is a rip-off of Star Wars. Does it sound convincing to you? If it does, then no wonder our opinions differ. If we'll start to argue about such things, I think that such discussion leads to nowhere but a waste of time.

I think you basically understand what I mean. If not, then I probably don't have enough writing skill, nor time to put it simpler to you.
Sir Dearka is offline   Reply With Quote