View Single Post
Old 2012-07-22, 18:12   Link #8
Dawnstorm

Continued from last season/second seasons:

Accell World: I don't know what it is that keeps me going, but I'm sort of enjoying it. My interest has vaned fairly quickly after I've been positively surprised in the beginning. Not my genre; not my character types; certainly not my combat avatar style. I think I may stay for the character design. Hm? (6/10)

Furusato Saisei Nippon no Mukashi Banashi: Animated picture book. Cute and charming. I love, love, love the opening. (7/10)

Hyouka: The longer it goes on, the better I like it. That's definitely better than the other way round. (8/10)

Rinne no Lagrange ~ 2nd season: Ah well. I like the characters, so I'm probably going to finish it. Shame I don't like the show much (5/10)

Sengoku Collection: Oddly fun. Very uneven; potentially great, potentially awful. Mostly okay. Style continues flawlessly from the last season, so what can I say? (7/10)

Shirokuma Café:
Exactly my kind of humour. (8/10)

Yurumates: Occasionally funny. (7/10)

Yuru Yuri ~ 2nd season: Almost as fun as the first season. Little else to say. (7/10)

New Arrivals I must finish no matter what:

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita: I love the weirdness, and it's essential to the concept, too. The idyllic pastoral look and soft colours give a nice contrast. Love the snarky lead. The fairies are appropriately creepy. I predict this year's second master piece (after last season's Nazo no Kanojo X).
(10/10)

Joshiraku: Good god, I'm unreasonably fond of this show. I don't get all of the jokes, but when I get them, they crack me up (the dog-kanji joke in the first episode!). It doesn't matter if you don't get all the jokes, either, because the show - as it itself informs you - contains unobtrusive dialogue so you can admire the cuteness of the girls. No complaints from me. (9/10)

Natsuyuki Rendesvouz: A very intriguing romance, actually based on the personalities of the characters. I don't like the male lead, but even he is interesting. (8/10)

New Arrivals I'll certainly finish:

Chouyaku Hyakunin Isshu: Uta Koi: A quirky rendition of love poems and their context. I like it. I sort of think of it as a companion piece to Furusato Saisei; both are very well executed cultural shows. I like that the show doesn't romanticise the period love more than it has to. Good job. (7/10)

Hakuouki Reimeiroku:
I liked the first Hakuouki; the second season was a bit uneven, good when good, but boring when not. This is easily my favourite installment so far. (7/10)

Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate: This seems to turn out better than I thought. I like the Amagami-character design. The personalities are stylish and distinctive. The biggest surprise is that all the elements of the title seem to have actual plot relevance. (7/10)

Kokoro Connect: I expected slapstick comedy and got a character study. Something about the K-on character desingn rubs me the wrong way. Tendency: rising enjoyment. (7/10)

Sword Art Online: Has potential, but it's no .hack//sign (even though it, too, has a Yuki Kajiura soundtrack). (6/10)

Tari Tari: Unsure what to think of it. It's fun. It's nothing special, but lovingly crafted, with attention to detail. (I'm Austrian: the German letter actually reads like something someone who's lived in Austria might write.) It's Hanasaku Iroha's less ambitious but more charming sister. (7/10)

New Arrivals I'll probably finish:

Binbougami ga!: The humour is hit and miss with me. I do like the two main characters. Let's see. (7/10)

Chitose Get You:
Cute, but not too immersive. (6/10)

La Storia Della Arcana Famiglia: Stylish multi-character fun. (7/10)

No more ratings from now on.

New Arrivals on probation:

Campione: Too generic to be really interesting. Chances are slim.

Dakara Boku we H ga Dekinai:
I sort of believe in the potential of the concept, and I think they're doing well with it. But the weekly gratuitious nudity is just so clichéd that it's getting on my nerves. Also, the show skews too much towards monster breasts. A show like this should go for more variety.

Kono Naka ni, Imouto ga Iru!: Nice ecchi comedy, but I don't like ecchi. Depends on how much the clichés will grate.

Oda Nobuna no Yabou: Meh, of all the Sengoku girl's show I've watched this is the least appealing. I didn't get past episode one of the Samurai Girls, so it beats that. Only watched episode 1 so far, but I can't say "dropped" yet.

New Arrivals, Tried and Dropped:

Ebiten (boring), Hagura Yuusha no Estetica (I hate the macho vibes this gives me with a passion), Muv Luv (looks like military propaganda via faceless opponents and sentimental values - no thank you)
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote