View Single Post
Old 2008-10-05, 03:49   Link #53
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuuda View Post
I'm getting rather annoyed by the fact that people are criticising Code Geass because Scheinzel was not a good "Final villain/boss" figure that they were expecting. Are you people just asking for clichés and formulaic stories or what? Scheinzel was never really a villain at all, he was an antagonist yes, but to me it felt a lot more original and believable that Scheinzel was just a man who's views conflicted with Lelouch.

If you spoon-fed kids want a "final villain" then you have to look no further than Lelouch himself, though in reality there are no "villains" in a story with good characters, just antagonists and conflicts.

Nor do I get what the compliant of pacing is all about, it was never too fast, atleast not too fast for me to easily follow.
They never let ideas, and plots come out naturally. We where forced fed one right after another. Characters like Marianne and Charles are not given enough time to develop, Schneizel is barely given any development. Charles, and Schneizel are known more for "ALL HAIL BRITANNIA", and FABULOUS, than for their actual character.

One of the best things about MSG was how instead of having Amuro face one ace every episode, they created arcs where Amuro would duel an ace, and allow us to sympathize with the ace, give the sense that Amuro was fighting an ace worth fighting. When Amuro defeated the ace we had a feeling that Amuro did something great, and that Zeon was clearly a worth opponent. We simply don't get that feeling from Code Geass. Charles, and Schneizel where not on the level of Lelouch. Schneizel was barely an improvement over Mao, and Charles was a complete idiot with a childish idea cribbed from Evangelion.

Instead of plots been giving time to unravel naturally Marianne shows up, and by the next episode she's dead, Charles reveals his plan and defeated in the same episode, Schneizel shows up and in a couple episodes he's geassed, the only thing that came out of the entire geass order is the fact that that Charles was immortal, and Lelouch had killed a bunch of children.

Given time some of those ideas could have been interesting, as is, only Schneizel was very interesting, Marianne, and Charles came off like bafoons, and V.V is only useful for debating whether Lelouch lived or died.

Every single Knight of Round not named Suzaku was not used for its full potential, even Gino was not shown to be on the level of Kallen or Suzaku.

Compare that to once again MSG, where while Amuro was an excellent pilot, several pilots where on his level, in both the Federation, and Zeon, its just that Amuro and Char became more famous.

At most their should have been 5 KoR, with Anya, and Gino getting more screentime, maybe showing their displeasure at Britannian aristocracy.

The problem of having only good characters is quite simple

instead of Schneizel, and Lelouch seeking peace, they instead seek war,

Why? Because if both didn't act like complete idiots than their would be no Code Geass.

If Schneizel or Lelouch where actually in office, both would be out of office by the time their term limit was over for being incompetent people who tried to force their ideas on other people.

Schneizel didn't feel like a final boss, because like all the other villains, he was taken care of in the same amount of time as it took Lelouch to take care of Mao, the only difference is that Schneizel had FLEIJA, an advantage taken away by Nina.

Also an Anti-villain isn't a unique character that's why TV tropes has an entire page of them.

A unique character is someone like Micheal Wilson, if Code Geass replaced Lelouch with Micheal Wilson, I feel all complaints would go away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Dude, just give it a rest already and let people vote their own way. Stop trying to encourage people to vote the show down and let them follow their own inhibitions.
I want some intelligent debate, I want people to post their opinions. I want people to dissect their opinions before saying 10/10 "Best anime ever" and that's it.

Last edited by Charred Knight; 2008-10-05 at 04:14.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote