View Single Post
Old 2009-07-04, 08:52   Link #174
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Just like i mentions before, the Chinese government believe in their own democracy too....

So if you asks: .... i bet they will say " yes, we improve our democratic government a lots. See, every citizens can appoint their representative so those can choose leader, province minister, mayor....etc... for them. That's democratic...".... or something like that (i don't even have much idea about the system itself, stole this from somewhere else D: )

I do not fully understand what Hari Michiru said because i'm not Chinese. But i can guess how's her points and her reasons was made/ built on.

Uh, reminds me of this:

Basically, Hu Jintao tells a Japanese kid in Yokohama that he was popularly chosen. SURE. The max. no. of candidates in the People's Congress is like 110% of total seats.
What chosen? Even Chen Shui Bian's claims of being "Son of Taiwan" made more sense in retrospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
Where are they when ppl complain about the ridiculous software that the chinese government wants every to-be-sold computer starting July 1 to be installed, so when you type "6.4" in your notepad, that ridiculous software can shut off your notepad??
It's now optional for individual end-owners, but not for schools, cybercafes, corporations... so yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathdrinor View Post
I know this sounds like an argument for greater centralization, but the truth is, against an entrenched elite protective of their own interests (in this case, the 45 million+ bureaucrats and their social circles), only two solutions are possible: 1) the emergence of a powerful, charismatic leader (like Mao, Lee Kuan Yew, etc.) 2) popular revolution. In fact, the two solutions are frequently the same one: as a popular revolution is often led by such a leader.
Not fair to clump LKY with Mao, Fidel Castro, Kim Jong-il... LKY for one is actually a capable leader who just deferred looking for a successor. For like 30 years. But that's OK. Maybe if you placed LKY with Deng Xiaoping, that's more sensible. Still. You can't deny that LKY succeeded where the rest failed.