View Single Post
Old 2004-12-01, 20:31   Link #43
Elanor Pam
Lurker Extraordinaire

*revives this thread!!*

As someone who has watched the TV series, movies and has detailed sources for the manga till vol. 23, I feel forced to step in and clarify stuff.

First: my feelings about the anime are ambiguous. I love romance, drama and tragedy, but still I had to force myself to watch the series, feeling like I was walking in really cold water. The plot was good, but it was too much angst for me to swallow at once. My fault, not the series'. Still, I hated the main's characterization, principally Flute, who is such a great character in the manga, but some other characters did remain faithful to the source. The artwork is wonderful. No comments on the animation. Music = superb.

I personally find the manga better.

For the love of all that you find sacred, DO NOT judge the manga by the first 6 volumes at abildsoe.com. That's barely the tip of the 37 volumes long iceberg. I've read a few people say they don't like Manga-Hamel because he's so funny he's not funny at all. You see, Hamel does try too hard to be an absolute ass and keep everyone away from him.

Spoiler for volumes 13, 14 and 15:

And despite having taken much more shit than Anime-Hamel, Manga-Hamel is a lot more active than the former, who's way too passive in front of the "destiny" dumped on him. (Note: I don't believe in destiny. I think that's another reason why I like the manga better: Hamel didn't give shit to what the Mazoku wanted from him, he just hated their guts.)

The manga only starts kicking major butt by vol. 9, but on the other side there's a lot of stuff in the first volumes that is necessary for later understanding of the characters. I think Watanabe Michiaki had a great sense of comic timing and pace - he could break a very serious scene with a joke and then go back to it, giving us a break without actually losing the tension. (...am I making sense?)

The Sizer plot is also infinitely better in the manga (I think it was too melodramatic in the anime, and Sizer wasn't as tortured as in the manga), without mentioning Lute's plot--- oh GOD, Lute. Read the manga from chapter 100 onwards and you'll scoff, snort and laugh at anime chapter 2.

Spoiler for Lutestuff (how he dies, etc):

Most people also seem to dislike Flute in the anime. I do too. It's like the animators/screenwriters thought she wasn't a good female lead for being too boyish and braver and emotionally stronger and more mature than the hero. And for facing much stronger enemies to defend her beliefs. Screenwriters, just because Flute doesn't take crap from people doesn't mean she's not a sweet girl. I use the Flute Method to help my sister when she has a depression-induced sob attack.

Raiel is really weird in the anime, but I think he kind of forgave Hamel way too quickly in the manga. On the other side, I wish he was less of a psycho in the series. Oh well. :/

Trom doesn't play much in the anime, compared to the manga, where he really is one of the Five hopes.

And the Five Hopes stuff... well, it makes much more sense in the manga.

Spoiler for 5 HOPES:

Uff... now I'm getting kinda tired of writing, so I'm going to stop here. I'd like to know what you think of this analysis. And pardon any grammar/spelling mistakes, english is my second language and I'm sleepy.

And anime-Pandora sucks. Period.
Elanor Pam is offline   Reply With Quote