View Single Post
Old 2008-10-30, 22:25   Link #15
Echoes

I'm a bit late, but this season has been absolutely great so far, so I figured I'd post some impressions regardless. The ratings expressed here are very general, and will no doubt change drastically soon enough.

Title: Kannagi
Rating: Very good
Episodes Viewed: 4

Greatly entertaining, fluent animations and characters I fell for right away. It's a great replacement for the recently finished Wagaya no Oinara-sama, which I also loved. This series has been a pure joy so far, one of the top tiers this season in my opinion.

Title: Kuroshitsuji
Rating: Average
Episodes Viewed: 2

It's somewhat dark, somewhat silly and somewhat mysterious. I find the humor to not fit that well with the other themes of the show. The butler, Sebastian, is almost too good to be true, and this I find to be a double-edged blade. This is pretty much how I feel about the show overall, a lot of points I like, but also a fair amount I don't enjoy that dampen the experience.

Title: Kyou no Go no Ni
Rating: Bad
Episodes Viewed: 3

I'm disappointed that I ended up not enjoying this, I'm usually a hound for these kinds of slice of life. The humor just doesn't hit home, and the visuals don't really help either. It's not horrible, but it's been underwhelming so far.

Title: Toradora
Rating: Good

The world's angriest tsundere, courtesy of Kugimiya Rie, and a highly hyperactive genki-girl to balance it out. I feel at home. The show is really fun and enjoyable, Taiga is fun, but the real kicker for me is "Minorin", her moe-beam has absolutely mesmerized me. A good show so far, with plenty of potential to be great by the end.

Title: Tales of the Abyss

I like everything except the male lead. Hopefully he'll grow on me. I really like these kinds of adventure-shows, I'm hoping this'll turn out somewhat like Scrapped Princess/Utawarerumono, then I'll be one happy camper. So far, so good.

Title: Shikabanehime Aka
Rating: Good

Stylish, and I really like the strong female lead. Pretty good show so far.

Title: Toaru Majutsu no Index
Rating: Excellent

I'm thoroughly enjoying this fantastic blend of action and moe. Like many others have said before me, it gives of Shana vibes, which is a great thing in my book. Lovable characters, interesting setting and lovely visuals. I've no complains at all. One of my absolute favorites this season.

Title: Clannad After Story
Rating: Excellent

They're off to a great start, the first four episodes of this season have been on par with, or perhaps even better, than pretty much any arc from the first. I find myself smiling, laughing and getting emotionally involved with all my beloved characters from the cast. I'm thrilled that we didn't have to wait long for them to return, and I enjoy this show immensely.

Title: Rosario to Vampire Capu2
Rating: Very bad

Not that I had any expectations of this show, but it's somehow managed to be even worse than the first season. This is very cheap entertainment, which works at times, but I'm sort of surprised I'm still watching this at all. I guess it must be all the pretty colours.

Title: Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka
Rating: (Slightly above) Average

I don't really have a problem with this show being generic, it's still fun to watch and fairly charming at times. It doesn't really try to be anything it's not, and I'm enough of an anime-lover that I find generic school comedies to be just fine and dandy.

Title: Ef ~A tale of melodies
Rating: Very good (bordering excellent)
Episodes Viewed: 2

It's more of Ef, and it has the same charm as its predecessor. A pure joy to watch, with all its inspiring dialog and stunning artistry.

Title: Ga-Rei
Rating: Good +

Yomi is charming enough to sell this series alone. There's a lot of potential for this series to be great, I just hope they don't go overboard with the humor and instead focus on the dark aspects of the series.

Title: Mouryou no Hako
Rating: Good-ish

The jury is still out on this series. I really want to like it, and I do, but I'm still waiting for something to truly sweep me off my feet here. It's been good so far, and if my hunches are right, it could be much better soon.

Title: Chaos Head

And now for something completely different. A protagonist at the border of insanity, dark mysterious murders and unexplainable events; I'm in heaven. I'm keeping my eyes on this jewel.

Title: Kurozuka

Kurozuka almost slipped under my radar, but I'm really glad it didn't. Dark and beautiful, bloody and gory. It gives off an atmosphere of mystery and is visually glorious.

I'm utterly pleased with this season, and I haven't even started watching my highly anticipated Jigoku Shoujo yet. Great, great season.