View Single Post
Old 2011-05-17, 10:41   Link #104
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Kazu-Kun, remember how a long time ago on the Spoilers and Speculations thread I debated in favor of the idea that Madoka wants to be extraordinarily helpful?

Well, there you go. That's a lot of Madoka's motivation when all is said and done, in my opinion.
No. In the end, it seems you were right about Madoka wanting to be somewhat extraordinary. But that's a goal, not a motivation. It's the motivations/drive/reason behind that goal what's nowhere to be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snork View Post
Good examples, but different IMHO. What we try to dig up here is the motvation behind Madoka's personality, right? Well, it might seem that Urobuchi gives us plenty of it for the other characters... except that it's not the motivation behind their personalities, but rather the CHANGE they underwent.
No exactly. The original personalty and the change are related. In fact, the change only makes sense in the context of their original personalities. For example, before meeting Madoka Homura was really really lonely because of her illness and lack of friends (that's a trait of her original personality), so it makes sense that Homura would end up wanting to save Madoka because Madoka was the first one to reach to her and became her friend.

So, as you see, you can only understand the change/action of a character, if you understand the character before that change, and for that, you need to know what makes the character tick.

I understand Homura (because of her illness) and I understand Kyoko (being the kid of a priest) but there's no way I can understand Sayaka (why so self-righteous?) or even less Madoka (why did she want to help people to that extant, way beyond a normal desire to be helpful??)

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2011-05-17 at 11:30.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote