View Single Post
Old 2009-01-01, 19:31   Link #88
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Disclaimer: I am not a novel reader.
Scientific explanations? Ok, based on this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Accelerator
The most powerful Psychic in the Academy City. A sadistic boy about the same age as Touma, he has an ability called "Redirection", a form of telekinesis. He can change the vector values of anything he touches. He has to consciously allow gravity to affect him, and can block out all sound. Furthermore, this ability is automatic so projectiles like bullets or explosives like bombs have no effect on him, as they will be redirected. It is because of his ability that he has an albino appearance (white hair, red eyes and pale skin), for his body blocks all ultraviolet radiation and in turn prevents the skin from manufacturing melanin.
Basically, he can control forces, velocity (and therefore, acceleration). So, how can he:

a. passively reflect high-speed projectiles (bullets, shrapnel, etc)?
Newton's third law, to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction; normal force. These projectiles will not in any way harm him (due to contact force) and they will just be reflected at the same velocity. How? By simply setting the velocity of the projectile to zero upon "impact" and let the normal force governed by Newton's third law do its job (he could also modify the strength of this force, from making the projectile simply drop to the ground to making it move even faster). Of course, he could also just make an inverse event horizon-like semipermeable "membrane" (made of all possible forces/paths pointing out) around himself, where instead of keeping stuff from going out of the horizon, it makes most foreign matter and radiation unable to get inside (this is what I suspect he's doing).

b. fly?
Step one: Set my acceleration due to gravity to 0 meters per second per second. Step two: Now that I am no longer bound by gravity, I can accelerate myself at will.

c. make a dust explosion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Telekinesis; movement of matter
Speed up or slow down the naturally occurring vibrations of atoms in matter to alter temperature, possibly to the point of ignition if combustible (also known as pyrokinesis and cryokinesis respectively).
Theoretically, he could also freeze water (or just about anything) just by touching it (thanks to convection). This also means he is immune to extreme temperatures. Pour liquid nitrogen on him and he's either gonna evaporate it or redirect it. Magma? You just gave him a huge chunk of rock to use against you.

d. make the ground beneath him seemingly burst out with a "war stomp"?
He modifies the direction and strength of the forces beneath his feet to mimic the effects of a minor impact event. This same tactic is used for his "super kick" move, and possibly for his punches and other physical attacks, with varying strengths.

Another fun fact about his power is that he can manipulate the direction of light to make his hand (or his entire body) act like a mirror, omit colors (light wavelengths) from his appearance or make himself look black, or make himself invisible. And with sound - for starters - he could modify the tone, pitch and volume of his voice.

Spoiler for Shirai Kuroko:

And talking about rankings, I believe that the psychics are ranked according to their understanding and creative use of their abilities (a very good example of this would be Mikoto's progression form Level 01 to Level 05). Going by this, Accelerator would be the most exploitative bastard in Academy City. Cheater.

Last edited by Ice Block; 2009-01-02 at 19:07. Reason: Shirai Kuroko stuff spoiler-boxed
Ice Block is offline   Reply With Quote