View Single Post
Old 2012-12-04, 16:23   Link #69
sikvod00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
As general rules of thumb, I get what you're saying, and I basically agree with it.

But like what Sumeragi said, we're discussing the ungeneral here. We're discussing the exceptional case.

We're not talking about someone that's merely "good" at something. We're talking world-class talent here (that's definitely the impression I'm getting anyway).

I mean, it can't be that hard to see how it's painful to see someone that's absolutely brilliant in a particular field choose instead to be average-to-pretty good in another field.

Imagine if KyoAni decided tomorrow that they were going to turn into a video game company. Their first two video games were Ok, not bad, but they're not exactly Mass Effect 2 or Modern Warfare.

A couple years down the line, I can understand anime fans thinking "Man, do I ever miss the old KyoAni. Instead of making average video games they used to make absolutely kickass anime!"

Edit: I basically agree with what wontaek wrote above. Painting vs. manga doesn't necessarily have to be an either or.
It's about perspective, I guess. The big picture view would be that the world lost a genius in one area and gained a sub-par individual in another. In that case it is a waste. However if the person in question is happy and loves what they are doing despite minimal success, I say let them be happy. Unless their contribution in the former profession meant solving world hunger or achieving world peace, in that case they have an obligation that goes beyond themselves. But it has to be something big in order for me to change my mind. We seem to agree about that.

Now there's usually two people who think an exceptional person is wasting their talents on irrelevant endeavors.
  1. People who love to consume the exceptional person's works: that would be people who are fans of KyoAni, MJ fans who get a thrill out of watching him play basketball, or art lovers that adore Mashiro's paintings.
  2. People also in the same line of work who envy the exceptional person's innate abilities: that would be Rita and Sorata.

I really sympathize with the second group because I can relate to that feeling of inadequacy and despair. It's that feeling you have when you know no matter how hard you work and sweat at something you love, there is someone so much better at it, yet they barely have to try and they may not even care about it. (like you said, Hyouka is an excellent example of this.) You feel justified in thinking that they have no right to do something else because if you were in their shoes, you'd be taking advantage of your gift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm View Post
Should we assume that Shiina has simply been given the gift of painting by Zevs? All things say that she has been practicing relentlessly year after year, with obsession most people cannot even imagine. This is how she came about her greatness. If she does the same with manga, would she not be able to touch the lives of millions through her art as a mangaka? Do we not think that passion will once again bring greatness? Talent is overrated. Passion is underrated.

Sorata no baka!
Hmm. We've seen her work hard at manga, but not so much with painting. She's been doing it since it childhood; I assume that meant she displayed signs of artistic talent at an early age and has been doing it ever since because that's what others expected her to do. I don't think it was the case that she worked hard at it every day for years and that's how she became world-famous. The series so far has put a lot of focus on the idea of innate talent vs passion/hard work. I though Shiina and her painting represented the former. But I guess we don't really know for sure because they've only teased about her past.

I agree that talent is overrated in most cases. Sometimes people (including myself) use it as an excuse to not try harder because we are lazy, intimidated, or scared of failing. The lesson to learn is that you probably will fail and you probably do suck at whatever you're doing at first lol. That's no reason to stop going...like the little engine that could.

Last edited by sikvod00; 2012-12-04 at 16:35.