View Single Post
Old 2011-05-10, 02:26   Link #1095
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

I'll just move the slice-of-life discussion here, and get the last laugh as no one reads this thread anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Granted, this show thus far hasn't exactly been ultra serious, but there have been dramatic climaxes in many of the episodes (Although perhaps silly ones in many). If go under that understanding, then Hanasaku Iroha is not a classic representation of slice of life. Ohana is going through extenuating unique circumstances, she is thrown from her metropolitan life to a life of hard work in a hot spring inn where dramatic conflicts and tension ensue. Again, that isn't what I call slice of life, traditionally.
At the same time, I would consider some of what goes on in Ohana's life to be very typical. Like gossiping with her friends, cleaning up the inn, cooking food or taking out the trash, texting with a long-distance friend, etc. About half of the time, these events are not overplayed to create drama. They're just routine, procedural tasks Ohana does like every other human being on the planet. Different setting and different life, you say. Yet still typical compared to those around Ohana.

Now, there are many times when Hanasaku Iroha pulls out some events unlikely to happen in real life... for example, the giant heron attacking Ohana. The heron serves as an improbable source of comedy; normally, birds don't attack people. It's awesome - and real life isn't quite as awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
So there's no drama in a normal representation of life?
There really isn't.

Quote:
Your normal person never encounters romance drama, or career drama, or family drama, or drama due to struggles in school?
Sure, people do. Usually, it's unintentional drama - people would rather avoid struggling in school or arguing with the family. The desire to be normal, you might say, fuels the slice-of-life genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Slice of Life is not built on Drama. In fact I would even go so far as to say slice of life represents a status quo, whereas drama fundamentally represents change and action. Consequently, yes they are mutually exclusive (though, much the same as any genre theory, the lines can be blurred).

That being said, besides the semi-realistic nature of the characters (teen girls doing teen things), the events are clearly not ordinary (just how often do you think children are abandoned due to debt?), and the consequences that result attempt to break the status quo the characters live in. So, no, Hanasaku Iroha is not a Slice of Life story...at least for me; it may contain certain element (partial setting, certain dialogue, etc), but the story is clearly dramatic (a young girl wishing to change) with hints of comedy and potential hints of romance.
I see what you mean here. Hanasaku Iroha seems to focus on the special, unique, exciting part of Ohana's life: Abandoning the sheltered past, going to a new high school and working with people she's meeting for the first time. A true slice-of-life story would be how Ohana lived before moving to the inn; Ohana lamented on how boring and undramatic her life was before moving.

I'm not ready to say Hanairo completely abandons the slice-of-life model, though. Contrary to what you say, some of Ohana's experiences are pretty ordinary.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote