View Single Post
Old 2011-08-24, 01:57   Link #992
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Thanks again, I did notice the 5.0/5.1 tests typically used 8/10 whereas the 4.1 only used 4, and Ripbot's only had 3, so I suspected this might have something to do with it.

One thing I've noticed is that dark scenes seem to show slightly more prevalent blocking under close inspection (possibly being anal but figure I might as well get it done right the first time); now I need to examine the video with a better screen as the one I'm writing this on doesn't really have a great colour depth and it could be an issue just being exacerbated by the screen dithering thats not really noticeable normally, as even the original BD rip shows it to a lesser degree, but I'm guessing that upping/reducing the CRF as needed, dependant on the point of view would be the best way of dealing with this, rather than reducing the preset speed?

Ie CRF 16.5-->15, rather than slower preset ---> veryslow

@cyberbeing - thanks for the tip on specifying the framerate, to prevent a bug in MKV output. Does it do the same if you just output to .264?
I'd only been using MKV output as it saved me a little time remuxing before checking a video.

If it doesn't I'll just alter my output by taking the .mkv specifier off the end, which I believe means it SHOULD save it as .264 (if you don't specify the file type - or am I wrong here too?)

Aka -o D:\WIP\Test instead of -o D:\WIP\Test.mkv or do I actually need to put .264 on the end?
Reading: None at the moment

Last edited by tyranuus; 2011-08-24 at 02:19.
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote