View Single Post
Old 2011-10-31, 08:10   Link #5167
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
Basically is it possible to split the audio you use basically using the boxes for music or ingame sounds and Skype for the audio plug in for your headset?
That depends on a couple of things. Firstly if you're using Windows it'll (probably) need to be Vista or 7 (#1), and secondly you'll need to check how Windows 'sees' your sound device (sound card, motherboard audio, etc). If you go into the Sound settings window in your Control Panel you'll get a list of sound ports and devices that Windows has picked up. E.g. mine is:

I have two sound cards and each has several ports that windows has picked up. If you only have one sound device you'll have to hope that Windows 'sees' your headphone port separately from your speaker port(s). Whether it does probably depends on your sound device drivers. If you don't see a separate listing for your headphone port, then you could always get a cheap second sound card that you can plug your headphones (for Skype) into.

Next, you'll need to tell Skype to use your headphone port (or second sound card). Their online help page has a section detailing how to set the output device/port (just select the headphone port on the speakers drop-down box).

Some other programs, e.g. Mediaplayer Classic allow you to set different output devices/ports:

So you could route sound in those as well, but quite a few programs just use the default output device/port selected in your Sound page (in the Control Panel). So it's something to check first if you want to route audio for other programs to your headphones.

(#1): I think Windows XP and earlier had issues with multiple sound cards, and it may not have shown separate output ports in the Control Panel sound page.
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote