View Single Post
Old 2007-01-05, 15:49   Link #97
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnabon-chan View Post
I wonder why they cut out all the sentence endings (I don't think Hina's na no made it, and im pretty sure Boku and Kashira are going to get cut if they say it in the manga), but how come Misha from Pita Ten keeps her "Su?"
That is probably up to the person who does the localization of the manga; i.e., making the translator's Engrish into English, as well as changing the way the characters speak to reflect their personalities. Whomever does the English adaptation (Jerome Halligan, vol. 1+2; Rob Valois, vol. 3) makes the choice to keep/drop those copulas. This Mr. Halligan cut out unyuu, ~desu, and ~na no. 'Boku' is almost impossible to translate in English since we don't have a special masculine way of speaking.

~Kashira should be translated as "I wonder," since that's basically what it means. But it'll probably be cut out as well.

On a side note, volume 3 has a rather large number of glaring spelling/grammar errors which annoyed me to no end. Fansub groups have better editing/QCing than Tokyopop's Rozen Maiden manga.