View Single Post
Old 2012-11-15, 19:23   Link #8
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

For me, the strongest take-home point from this episode is the confession that this society hasn't yet been able to conclusively prove the link between psychology and criminal behaviour. That changes my view of the Sibyl System completely and makes me wonder more than before why and how it was adopted. It looks likely to be a case of pre-emptive crime-fighting measures taken a bit too far after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It turns out episode 3's case was also related to Makishima. I didn't see that one coming. It seems like Makishima may not be trying to overthrow the system after all. What he does is provide people with a motive to kill (whatever it might be and whoever their target is) the means to do so. His ultimate goal is unclear. What does turning people into serial killers accomplish? For now, I can't really imagine. All I'm hoping for is that he has solid motives and that he isn't doing it solely for kicks. That would be a tad disappointing. Perhaps he is attempting to point out the flaws of the system?
I don't see Makishima's lack of a "solid" motive as disappointing. I find the possibility that he's doing just for the kicks to be far more disturbing, far more terrifying. He works on a far higher level even than the serial killer from Se7en, for example, who killed based on some warped sense of justice.

The mistake, in the first place, would be to see Makishima as some idealistic revolutionary. He isn't. Rather, he's deliberately gaming the system for his own sadistic amusement. In a way, Makishima is doing exactly what the Sibyl System is doing. Whereas the Sibyl System matches people to jobs based on their innate apptitude, Makishima matches latent criminals with the means to commit murder.

It would seem, rather, that Makishima aims to be a Superman in the Nietzchean sense, that is, "Morality is for the weak, throw off your shackles and be the maximum of what you are meant to be". And in the world of Psycho-Pass, that means defying society's attempts to curb your psychology, and to indulge in whatever you want, morality be damned.