Thread: Licensed Tayutama -Kiss on my Deity-
View Single Post
Old 2008-12-20, 13:29   Link #44
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Now, i only listened to the first one, and chances are i am missing something the game players obviously know about the scenes, but ... isn't that some fairly usual stuff of a somewhat airhead getting overly enthusiastic and self-absorbed during her speech ? Yes, those can be funny indeed, but am i missing something here that would make this case special enough to get worked up about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhjegel View Post
The transition from lovey-dovey yamato nadeshiko tsuma-mode Mashiro to heartless domestic violence overworking demon Mashiro is something that the lines totally present perfectly in context with the events involved. Changing it would be totally detrimental. Admittedly you don't know the context so you wouldn't know the loss involved should they mess around with the lines. Same with the second clip, although in the second one both tsuma and danna reacted in the same way...which made it hilarious (the whole "buuuoooaaaaaaka mongaaa!"). That and the whole "a normal human's head would be crushed with this force I exert using this hammer! Just watch!". GATTSUN! Ozuchi yo~ Omoikiri~ Furikabutte~

TATTE! TACHINASAI! TATTEEEEE! ...Oh, when did it become late afternoon? Eeeeei, I don't remember having a husband this pathetically weak!

Perfect.

The third sound clip just emphasizes Mashiro's...goofiness. In that one she's translating the Tayutai's conversation. HEI HEI, PRETTY LADY, WHERE ARE YOU GOING? WANNA DRINK SOME TEA WITH ME?
...You know, Erhjegel... if you were trying to explain the meaning of those scenes in English, perhaps you should have finished translating the explanation. This reminds me of the conversations I used to have in school where we'd jump between languages without even thinking about it, and then all of a sudden stop ourselves and realize "wait, what language were we just speaking in?"

Anyway, to try to translate... this is the big deal about those scenes (that, yes, would be obvious to anyone who played the game): Normally, Mashiro is the very image of the perfect traditional Japanese wife: kind, wise, calm, mature, understanding, talented, well-behaved, takes care of the home, etc. Think, like, Aoi Sakuraba from Ai Yori Aoshi or something. However, Mashiro isn't just a "perfect woman" from a long-lost era, she's also the reincarnation of a god, and her job is to bring wayward spirits under control, typically using force. Keep in mind that she wields a giant spirit-crushing hammer as her primary weapon. So, as if to counter Mashiro's typical "domestic" side, we have the contrast of Mashiro's aggressive, sort of "alpha female" god side. When she's in this "mode", typically when she's training Yuuri to fight along side her, she's completely merciless and will "train" Yuuri nearly to the point of death until all of a sudden her "deredere" side kicks in again and she realizes that she nearly killed the man ("Oh no! What have I done!" sort of thing). While that training is taking place, you get this long spewing of trash talk as she trys to "encourage" Yuuri to live up to her massively-overboard expectations (since, at the end of the day, even with his spiritual affinity, he's only a human). It's funny enough on its own, but what makes it especially funny is just because of a how huge of a contrast it is to the normal image Mashiro gives off.

The whole point of the contrast, basically, is to get a better understanding of Mashiro's character. Although she sometimes might look like a submissive housewife to the untrained eye, she's anything but weak or helpless. She a god, and she tries to act in a way she feels is befitting (except when she's in "fight mode" -- and then we'll just say that she's a vengeful god... )
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote