View Single Post
Old 2009-12-31, 21:02   Link #8
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

As usual, my AS series review can be sort of longwinded. Please bear with me.

So, as some people might know, I'm in charge of Witch Hunt, the translation group of the VN ever since its creation back in February 2008. With that "intro", you can expect me to be well versed with the original franchise... and perhaps too much.
Indeed, I won't deny that my position wasn't making my anime enjoyment anything easier, but I certainly believe that as a VN reader, my critics so far were done in order to point out the inherent issues that should have been addressed, without putting the said adaptation to any more shame or praise than necessary.

Without much ado:

1) Image Quality:

1.1 Sakuga
The art style was, to be plain, not exactly what I expected.
It isn't about "good" or "bad", but rather how it was difficult to imagine the characters at the start with the first rough sheets (especially Battler, who still look extremely different to his original incarnation in my eyes). That wasn't much a problem as the characters were easily recognizable, but still the "aura" or "vibes" were definitely not the same, or lacked the emotions (or perhaps Ryukishi was really doing too much with the expressions?).

Anyway, aside of this point which was a plain demonstration of my preferences, the Sakuga themselves were really not consistent. To me, the designers were extremely basic in term of handling the designs of the characters, often abusing still shot and far zoom camera pan to decrease substantially the level of detail.
If it was just for this, it would be fine, but for some reasons, those who were in charge of the design were... probably fans of large breasts.
Let's be honest, yes female characters were gifted by Ryukishi in the original game, however, the proportions and chest inflation were beyond a joke. I really couldn't stop face palming at the sight of Natsuhi, Eva and Kyrie's balloons, almost as big as their head, breaking... what, E Cup?
Likewise, the men weren't really spared and it seems the old curse from Higurashi kai happened once again: they became quite strong built, but it seems their head wasn't accounted in the budget. Because of this, it isn't really rare to see Rudolf and Krauss with abnormal body frame, as if they were transformers or megazords in flesh.

The cousins were spared of this, except perhaps Jessica in few instances (yes, I'm talking about Episode 5, and its instant framerate X2 increase for some breast jiggling), and Maria's psychotic faces that were totally overdone (VN readers can confirm they weren't intended to be like that and latest episodes prove Maria is nowhere close to facial distortion).

Just to add the insult to the injury, the consistency is often at stake, without trying to pull a pun: the Stakes often got their hair color or even hair style swapped within bare few seconds within the same episode (especially that scene with the Stakes being obliterated by Ange).

Finally, the real regret I had with the design was the utter lack of emotions: most characters had stiff expressions and didn't really show their anger, sorrow and so forth.
It was even more noticeable in the last episodes, with Ange being basically indifferent to Battler's existence denial, Beato's reaction towards Ange's intrusion or Battler "rage" in the last episode... perhaps this is more like a script issue instead, which will be developed later on.

Aside of the characters, the architecture of the mansion and its scenery were fine, though the colors in general were awfully dull. I know it isn’t as close as Hinamizawa, but the lack of proper gradients minimized use of rich colors (Red, Yellow, etc) don’t help in that dull impression.

1.2 Animation
Now that makes the whole Sakuga problem even worse, as basically the animation was alienated by (un)intelligent abuse of camera pan. The problem is that it doesn't compliment the efforts they have done, when the only moving thing is the only character speaking, or the camera itself (the legendary "sidewayyyy" abuse in Episode 1 arc).
I will not deny few things were well animated (such like Kanon VS Lucifer in Episode 3 arc), but it is quite saddening that their budget was kind of fixed on breast jiggling and very rare key scenes.

In short
In that regard, I really think Higurashi Kai was superior in both design/image and animation departments.
I would still give a "decent" score for this, as I can see they didn't go as low as cabbage love or whatever kind of mockery.
6/10

2) Sound Quality:
2.1 Voice Actors
Probably one of the few strong points of this adaptation: the plethora of Seiyuu.
As a lot of people around, I was quite skeptical about Beato and Battler's seiyuu assignments’ back at the start, but in the end, it wasn't that hard to be accustomed.
In fact, there weren't many characters that didn't feel right.

I can only say that Siesta 410 voice is basically atrocious (and unfitting), Rosa just sound too young even after 26 episodes (but excellent outbursts), Kinzo lacks of "class" still (for me, of course... I guess I still have Wakamoto in mind), George... not enough "Tommy" like (Mikiya!! )
Meanwhile, I loved the Stakes voices (minus Asmodeus), Battler, Natsuhi, Krauss, Ronove, Beato and of course Bernkastel (Yukarin :3)

2.2 Opening / Ending
The opening was quite nice, but I think the flow was kind of broken... I guess the momentum break at "nakanai de" was bit overkill to me, but it certainly fits very well the franchise.

The ending was perhaps a better highlight for me, considering how it suits so well Kinzo .
If it wasn't for the crazy parts of Episode 4, I guess the impact would have been much more lessened.

2.3 Inserted Songs
There was unfortunately none. It isn't bad per se, since there were only 1 inserted song by Episode arc in the VN, but I think it wouldn't have been a problem for them to add these. Not really a minus point, it isn't like they are more important than the next point...

2.4 BGM
...now that is probably the only red mark of the sound department here.
As you know, Umineko is exactly like Higurashi: a VN, but more precisely, a sound novel. Their main strength is the mood enhanced with the SFX but mainly the BGM.
And this is where it doesn't look that good: the person in charge of the composition didn't exploit the excellent OST of the game.
Truth to be told, Umineko has good anime original tracks, which is a far cry from those shamelessly recycled in Higurashi, but most of them didn't feel completely fitting with the scenes they were used in.
But that wasn't that much of a problem, since these weren't used in a bad way.
The problem however is how they misused the original tracks. I guess this opinion is shared, but I really think someone at DEEN HQ had a big obsession over "suspicion", to the point it is used like at least thrice per arc, which is extremely jarring so to speak.
Using the bad track isn't only the sole issue here, but also how some tracks weren't given justice due to the timing... I think the first twilight discovery is enough to realize how it was really badly timed but also too low.

Some key scenes were seriously affected by the lack of such BGM, to the point the mood might be totally different (I think almost everyone can agree regarding dreamenddischarger for the very "battle" in Episode 26, or dir for Ange's death).

This is really the true negative point in this section that does have a certain weight...

In short
If it wasn't for the BGM issue, they could have almost get the max score. However, they still did a decent job, despite there were a lot left to be desired regarding the BGM.

8/10

3) Script:
This is probably the biggest issue of this anime. Basically, the whole ordeal of the characters wasn't really smooth in term of pace and content.

3.1 Characters:
The characters were basically a "watered down" version of their VN selves in most case that I often wondered if it was really an adaptation.

I acknowledge that it is by no mean practical or feasible to have every detail or character developments. That's a pure given.
However, aside of possible cuts, my main problem is how some characters are void of emotions or their characteristic TRAITS.

Jessica is the prime example of this: she is not exactly shown as the rash and tsundere girl around.
Episode 1 and Episode 2 were quite the proof of it: she was basically quite "generic" without her characteristic burning passion. Because of this, her "development" in Episode 4 wasn't exactly convincing, even with VN knowledge. It didn't need any character development, but plain traits used. Therefore, the lack of cold shoulder and "rants" over her parents don't give emphasis on the heartwarming effect of the scorpion charm with Natsuhi. Likewise, the struggle with Kanon in Episode 2 arc doesn't seem exactly as problematic, when Jessica just soak what Kanon said and let him leave without protesting (which doesn't help her supposed "you are human!!!" comment).

But as I mention the characters traits (affecting characters like Jessica, Gohda, Kumasawa etc), the problem is the lack of emotions that really put all the empathy almost to 0.
Episode 1 and Episode 2 first twilights were quite a letdown: you have a blunt shock, then almost nothing has happened (especially Ep2, until the kids show up). That trend was kept thorough the series, even in the end. I personally wasn't happy how Battler was kind of "shocked" at most when Ange was bleeding, then ultimately dying. Serious? yes. Enraged? no.

It is really difficult to "care" about characters when they don't exactly feel human, and this is exactly what's happening with Umineko, especially when it comes to corpse’s discovery in general.

This is why both points combined leave me a sour aftertaste regarding the characters.
Umineko is nowhere close to be a plain carbon copy of "and then there were none" with an otaku disguise: against the usual and cold detective story mood, Umineko sets so many layers of depth and subtle details with a giant cast of characters.
Thus, it is quite disheartening to see most of them as good as bunch of dolls or "read the script" pole. Even with the Seiyuu best performances, they can't outmatch the letdown if they are told to say a line without much aftermath behind.

3.2 Story progression
A very debated point, that's for sure.
As you know, Umineko really suffered a lot for its jarring pacing. Of course, it was "thanks" to its gigantic size and level of details. However, it has to be said that the scripters and series composer were kind of goofy regarding the pacing and things to be given, and that more than once.

Because of this, a lot of events and details felt quite disjointed, and due to some details missing, it is actually hard to connect the dots regarding some characters' reactions (the lack of Kanon's self admission regarding his love for Jessica + Furniture/human in Episode 2 intro was quite a problem to understand why he turned her down, etc).

And of course, some events don't exactly make much sense without VN knowledge (gapgapgap for instance...)

In short
They certainly were affected by the overall number of episode for this season, yet I think budget and time constraints don't mean scripters can't have any creativity to overcome this kind of issues. Most cuts were needed indeed, but some could have been made in a different way, without losing much in the process.
5/10

4) Adaptation from the game
Aside of that huge debate regarding Episode 25, Umineko didn't exactly have its best share of pacing, that certainly cost a lot of details in the process.

And by no mean these details were small. Of course, we can just ignore details like Kanon being a weak boy unable to carry a bag of fertilizer. I mean details like
red truth.
I mean... does it make any sense that Beatrice starts to say in Episode 3 that she "already confirmed" the death of the first six, despite it didn't happen in the anime?
Likewise, why Hideyoshi's testimony wasn't in red? How about the whole list of "death"?
Episode 4 was basically the straw: if we suppress the lack of "Beato's counter offensives" the whole issue is that the anime doesn't provide enough information to the watchers.
Was it too much to make Beato say "Kanon is dead" despite Piece Battler didn't find his corpse? Likewise, how about the last riddle, when Battler is about to be killed, but not in red? How a watcher is supposed to know if it is a fact that can be trusted?

This is where lies the most problematic issue regarding the adaptation, all categories alike: the consistencies and clues.
So many red were removed altogether without any proper justification, but it goes worst when Episode 4 is totally screwed up with a mess in the murders.
And this is probably the sole mistake that I think any VN reader has the rightful right to rant like no tomorrow: no matter how they miss character developments, BGM or whatsoever, they ought to give the minimum and CORRECT clues/hints/murders setup due to the plot nature of Umineko.

And again, to add the insult to the injury, they managed to omit important red truth that are part of a plot twist and resolution in Episode 5. Without this red truth, it is 100% impossible (no exaggeration) to adapt Episode 5, unless they edit it to the point it is not an adaptation.
If you add the issue regarding the characters, it is just more salt to the wound. The only saving grace is like what Marion mentioned in her review: Beato was well adapted... which wasn't exactly the case for Battler...

In short
And in that regard, I can hereby say that the scripters failed. Not totally, but they really messed up a lot of things that it is really impossible to buy that Ryukihi supervised them. At the very best, he just guided them for few points and then the scripters had a field trip.
And that point doesn't help much with the aforementioned points.
3/10

Conclusion
This adaptation of
Umineko no Naku Koro ni wasn't a total disaster, but it wasn't far from it either.
Crippled too much by a very uninspiring direction and poor choices regarding budget and the like, the series was basically a mere digest display of the true story, which is unlikely to be the purpose of an "adaptation".

Even if the series could be considered as a standalone, the glaring mistakes and lack of proper time management don't make it any more "suitable" for non VN readers.

Quite a disappointment for me, there is no need to hide that.
5/10 - below average

This "essay" is of course my only opinion, and I don't pretend to get an appreciation more worthy than anyone else's.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2010-01-02 at 13:34. Reason: font glitch + typo
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote