View Single Post
Old 2010-06-24, 04:26   Link #11529
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verg Avesta View Post
One thing that jumped to my mind while thinking about the whole "Fertilizer-sack-Kinzo" thing was that there's one place that could very well store the main ingredient for some Kentucky Fried Kinzo later. And with that I mean the underground storage room, that's supposedly right next to the boiler room, or near it. In other words, Kanon could just waltz into the room, leave the fertilizer sacks in there, and when the time comes, run downstairs and burn the whole body as it's right next door.

.....If we add that he'll fake his own death to hunt the murderer, then wouldn't that basically become episode 1?
I keep forgetting about the underground storage room. I wonder, how many entrances does the mansion have exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verg Avesta View Post
Here's another thing. What if Kinzo's ring was actually buried with him? And when Kanon digs up the corpse, he takes the ring, and then proceeds to hand it out if someone solves the epitaph. It might also be used in the letters, if they aren't pre-prepared, which would certainly justify why the Krauss & Natsuhi are so freaked out, as they know the ring should be six feet under.
My first thought was, it obviously can't be buried with Kinzo! The ring is an important symbol of the family, and someone would surely want it a lot. Letters sent "by Kinzo" would be a useful device to create the illusion he is alive, if his handwriting could be forged.

My second thought was, it's obviously buried with Kinzo! The ring is just a symbol, it doesn't make one the head. Kinzo is supposed to disappear without a trace, and the ring would inevitably be with him if he took a walk. Getting caught with it afterwards is getting accused of murder, so it's better to just keep it on his finger.

Now I'm not sure which possibility to pick! The ring being buried sounds quite possible -- forging Kinzo's handwriting is hard, since the children are obviously very familiar with it, and would create solid physical evidence that can be used against Kinzo Phantom Conspiracy, so denying yourself the possibility doesn't change anything.

If the ring was buried with Kinzo, the following possibilities exist for the letters:
  1. The letters date back over a year ago, and so does the fake murder plan, which makes it very likely to be Kinzo's direct order and unwritten will. Seeing as how they're written in such a neutral fashion, and other letters signed with Beatrice differ so markedly in style, a Fake Murder Prank Kit hidden somewhere is certainly a possibility.
  2. Kanon writes the letters himself and is thus a "Beatrice" even if he doesn't think he is, they are his attempt to disrupt one plot or another -- for example, prevent anyone from solving the epitaph and a Kinzo Bomb.
  3. Kanon hands the ring over to "Beatrice" or is a "Beatrice" himself, and is just an agent of Team Beatrice which covers for him while he digs.
I can't say which of the three is more plausible. Well, maybe the second is the least plausible, because the letters seem to be closely connected to the fake murders... ...but are they? Taken literally, they don't threaten anyone with death. The phrase "Everything of the Ushiromiya family" can be taken to mean many things.

There is one thing about Kinzo burning that complicates things a lot, namely, the key to the study that is supposedly found on Kinzo's body.

Only two keys to the study exist, one of them with Natsuhi if we trust Ep5, another with Genji. In the morning of Ep1, Genji gives his key to Natsuhi, so for a period she has the only two keys to the study, then she gives one back to Genji. After Kinzo is discovered, Genji demonstrates a burnt and dirty key to the study together with his own, though he is never shown to actually be taking it from the body. Then, in the discord letter scene, Genji hands over both keys.

This requires that Natsuhi hand over her own key to Genji at some point, which is sort of odd and the whole thing creates a mess.

If Natsuhi is not aware beforehand that Kinzo has been dug up and will be burned, seeing a burned key demonstrated means Genji tricked her -- there could not be a key on the body before it was buried. It is not necessary to muck up the key if the idea is to pretend Genji took it from the burned body -- one could make a show of rubbing it off instead and that would be easier and work the same. The only key that could actually be on the body when it was burned would be Genji's own key and not Natsuhi's. Either key could be mucked up otherwise, but then it wouldn't look very burned.

If Natsuhi is aware of the exhumation, she also has to know who has the ring, if not actually be in control of it, so this pretty much catapults her to the top of the Fake Death Conspiracy, and then she would have to see through the Counter-Fake-Death-Conspiracy in Ep5.

So what the heck is going on in here?

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote