View Single Post
Old 2008-03-06, 06:49   Link #512
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Well, why wouldn't he go for a top-of-the-line computer?

Like I said, meek little Mitsuru is still excellent extortion material. Thinking like Haruki, I can already imagine the headlines: "Sexually repressed computer club assaults weak, pretty boy"

Sexual assault is sexual assault, no matter which side of the gender its coming from.
My point was that the Fujoshi Computer Club may not have a top-of-the-line computer for him to take.

This is all predicated on the Genderswap Computer Club actually being genderswapped and focusing more on the stereotypical fujoshi hobbies, of course. If they're the Girls' Gaming Club instead, then yes, Haruki will be getting a good computer.

And I'm just not seeing the blackmail material as being that serious in the setting. Yes, sexual assault is sexual assault, but as I said, Haruhi assaults Mikuru just about every day, and it's seen as comedy. Heck, over in the Nanoha-verse, Hayate's "seku-hara" is apparently a harmless little quirk, rather than gross impropriety.

Is it unfair and inconsistent to the point of hypocrisy? I think so, but it's the setting we have to work with. I'm not saying that the "sexually-repressed girls molesting a boy" angle won't work, but it'll have to be very convincing on Haruki's part. In the canon, Haruhi just implied that the Computer Club was ganging up on Mikuru, and let societal biases do the threatening for her. For the genderswap, this may not really work, especially if we're using the image of the Female Computer Club as not being that unattractive.

I mean, be honest with yourself, guys: if you heard about a girl being molested and ganged up on by a group of guys, what would your first thought be? Now, if you heard about a guy being molested and ganged up on by a group of not unattractive girls, what would your first thought be?

Haruki is going to have to be very convincing, painting lurid details of horrors and backlash which will pretty much have to be over-exaggerated, and the girls of the Computer Club have to believe him.

This is one reason why I'm still seriously considering leaving the Computer Club male, because it's easier that way.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote