View Single Post
Old 2009-08-13, 03:11   Link #3072
calorie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
There 'must' be? I see what your point is, but you should give more specific examples, because, there are plenty of 'borrowed words' from English, and other languages. However, there are times when the word does have a Japanese equivalent, and is still said in English - I can't really comment on that - it could be because of a lot of things, from common usage to reducing ambiguity.

Edit:
Don't worry, there are plenty of loaned words from Japanese into English as well. I'm no expert on Japan, so I can't really tell you how much loan words are indicative of western influence - but it could very well be a matter of practicality
Sorry, I can't remember any examples right now, but it could be that I was mistaking Gairaigo, these 'borrowed' words for truly english words. Must be that while I watch animes I tend to notice a familiar, though more or less modified, word in the sea of japanese and I attribute that modification to accent or incorrect pronunciation on character's part. Though there are probably also literal english words in use for reasons you've mentioned.
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote