View Single Post
Old 2007-04-29, 12:46   Link #43
epic59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Wait, did you just call me a republican?
I think you did.
And in that case, I don't think I have ever been so insulted in my life. :V
Dude, on the American scale I'm so far off to the left you'd call me a communist. I also happen to believe that warez are not a bad thing (member of the Swedish Pirate Party, what up yo).
so i hear u liek mudkips... i do believe that this "fool" has insulted a very large percentage of the community by calling them rebuli-- bleh must not say the word....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj View Post
First, at least in an American court, a verdict is not a yes or no thing. It is true that it starts with guilty or not guilty - but the charges offered in the first place and the sentence that ultimate results are based on a sliding scale that allows the judge to take into consideration all of the elements of a case when making the final decisions. As an example - if you get arrested for carrying drugs, you can be charged with possession of an illegal substance - generally a misdemeanor. If you were planning to sell it, then that results in a more severe charge (possession of an illegal substance with intent to distribute - a felony charge), and if you were planning to sell it to kids, then you're in even bigger trouble (possession of an illegal substance with intent to distribute to minors - a major felony). That's a sliding scale that applies even before the trial has begun. Once found guilty (there's considerations there, too, BTW, that can get you cleared even if the state can prove a crime was committed) the judge has to pass a sentence, which is generally within a preset range of fines and penalties. Among the things a judge considers when deciding your sentence is what kind of drug it was, whether you'd actually managed to sell it, where you got it, how well you cooperated with the police, and even how remorseful you are that you committed such an act in the first place. This is just an illustrative example, but it demonstrates my point - there is no black and white standard in the legal world, for anything. Even murderers get subjective sentencing.

in either case, if its "high quality" or 160x120 .rm stuff that is blurry as fuck, the licensing company is most likly going to rape you for all you are worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj View Post
Also at stake here is potential future rulings. IP law is still in its infancy, especially with respect to the internet, so many of these issues are undecided as of now. Future rulings will depend in part on the intent and degree of criminality practiced by the defendants. It's not implausible that choices made by the fansubbing community today could have unforeseen results in the future. In such a case, I can't help but preach caution and responsibility.
Lets take the interwebs out of this for a second. http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf weither distributed on the tubes, or by drunken carrier pidgeon, carrying 4gb sd cards, its still against the law. They dont go on the fact that it was done on the tubes. You still get boned. they call it a digital crime or some shit like that, but it still has one very important word in it. C-R-I-M-E.

Last edited by epic59; 2007-04-29 at 12:55. Reason: angsty
epic59 is offline   Reply With Quote