View Single Post
Old 2009-10-12, 01:30   Link #1168
Used Can

I think the 5 letters turn into 6 has to do something with a の. Remember the whole deal about Golden Land, and Land of Gold? I think the の there may play a key factor.

All the same, I've got to admit I've been passing on trying to work out the epitaph, since I'm sure it relies a lot on Japanese wordplays, references, and perhaps common knowledge, which I'm not knowledgeable of. So, I don't know if that's actually a key, or just a vague interpretation of mine.

Even so, I'm wondering what's the exact purpose of the epitaph. As of now, it's been solved twice. The first time, only 2 people knew about it. During the second time, everyone on the island was aware of it. However, in both situations the murders were still carried out. Sure, during the second time, the murders weren't carried as well as the first time the epitaph was solved, but the fact is they still happened. So, what's to gain from it, other than gold? Beatrice doesn't gain anything from it being solved, apparently. What's there for the people in Rokkenjima to win from it, I wonder? Lambda said it was possible to prevent the murders, but just solving the epitaph didn't do it. I wonder if there's something else to it.