View Single Post
Old 2007-12-16, 08:40   Link #1131
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

I learned the basics in intro language classes. Now I'm trying to build on it by watching raws, then subs for the parts I don't understand.

It's actually not very hard to get a basic understanding. If you want to start, you should definitely check out the site valdra suggested: guidetojapanese.org

It teaches you the correct way of learning Japanese. It's not very fun, but it works. You DO NOT want to learn it in relation to another language. The classes I took taught that way, and even now I mutter to myself in English when I translate the raws in my head. The point is, you don't want to translate in your mind, you want convert Japanese directly into thought.

I'd follow that online course. Again, memorizing what seems like random scribbles to you isn't fun, but reading kana is absolutely critical and child's play compared to kanji. Make sure to practice until you can read it fast. When you can read my title in under 2 seconds, I'd say that's good enough. When you get to the kanji section, don't panic and give up. It's really not that bad.

Last edited by tripperazn; 2007-12-16 at 09:12.
tripperazn is offline   Reply With Quote