View Single Post
Old 2010-08-18, 01:33   Link #47
raduccio

I hope this author is talking about illegal watching anime in Japan because otherwise I disagree with what she says.

An anime fan in Japan can just watch as many shows as time allows for free when they air. He can even record them for personal use (if the companies haven't made it illegal).

It's the production company's job to make the show good enough to convince a large enough fraction of these people to want to pay for overpriced dvd's and/or overpriced show-related merchandise.

I'm not 100% sure but I think in Japan you can rent anime for a fee. Is this true?

I want to support the industry the industry as much as the next guy because I know that if a show doesn't make enough money it won't get a continuation and it will be left unfinished but it's difficult from where I am. The only shows that air are one or two mainstream ones that I hate, the same with merchandise.
Surely they don't expect me to buy merchandise from the US or Japan! The dvd's are expensive enough even without crazy shipping fees and who knows what taxes. If I have to pay VAT it's another 24%. And keep in mind that all I want to do is watch the show once.

They need to change their ways if they want the industry to be more profitable.
I hear that companies don't make money from tv networks in Japan. If that's true then I guess a big part of the problem is right there!
Also, if they want people from outside Japan and the Us to pay for watching anime they should make their shows legally available in those countries for watching. (not 30bucks for 3 episodes just to watch the show once)
How hard would it be to make a few well supplied official streaming sites with decent fees?
raduccio is offline   Reply With Quote