View Single Post
Old 2013-01-22, 08:17   Link #134
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I see your point. But with respect to freedom, I tend to view society as a mechanism for ensuring it. Many laws, for example, are designed to ensure that other people can't infringe on your rights.
I've always seen rights as a consequence of maintaining the Social Contract, but it could easily go the other way around by changing a few assumptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
No, I wouldn't.

I probably should be clear here. I'm not saying that freedom is sufficient in and of itself. I view it as an unambiguously good thing, but yes, it does need to be tempered. The shift you mentioned can serve to "level the playing field", and shift society closer to equality of opportunity (this type of equality is compatible with freedom). The shift you mentioned can also serve to keep the economy stable, which is generally beneficial.

But the shift in Psycho-Pass goes beyond the economic realm, of course.
I'm not going to argue this. Extremes are generally perceived to be bad. Total freedom leans too much towards individualism to the point threatening the stability of society. Absence of freedom leans too much towards collectivism and hive mentality. I guess it's all a trade off depending on what kind of society one prefers to create.