View Single Post
Old 2007-07-26, 02:55   Link #5
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs View Post
So what about playing it on the 360? I believe it should also have MPEG-4 AVC support since some time ago.

And what's with the PS3 not displaying 720p videos at all on a non-HDTV? Can't it just downscale?!

Finally, there has to be some way to tell x264 what profile level to write in the bitstream... or push for one to be added.
I don't own a 360, so you go experiment and tell me .

The PS3 doesn't like to downscale, I think. It treated it like a game whose lowest resolution is 720p, so it refused to output the video signal over the 480i composite video hookup. It has nothing to do with the encoding, since the identical 640x360 version plays fine.

Sure, I think you can do it from the start on the command line when encoding (except with the one caveat of using p4x4 search, which is a very technical point that was brought up by me a while ago and frankly, shouldn't be something to worry about in reguards to the playstation 3). This was more a guide for pre-existing encodes that might work even if they weren't set right to begin with. I know that I'll make my encodes say 4.1 from now on personally.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote