View Single Post
Old 2008-10-25, 06:38   Link #76
Talendra

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Is it the Haki that is hurting him, or is his power simply being negated? I postulated in the Haki thread that the ability of Haki could be used against Logia users to momentarily negate their power, to forcefully turn them solid (which might be how Rayleigh fought Kizaru), so maybe that is what is going on in this fight. Haki is being used to momentarily 'seal' the Devil Fruit abilities of the opponent. The Snake sisters are using a minor form of Haki to negate Luffy's powers, which, consequently, allows him to be hurt by physical/blunt attacks, which generally have no effect on him.

I am not saying that this idea is correct, rather I am questioning the logistics of a Haki powered punch being that much more powerful than a regular punch from the plethora of strong villains that Luffy has fought. Which is more likely, a Haki-powered punch is 100 times stronger than a punch from Lucci (a man equal if not physically stronger than Luffy), or a Haki-powered punch slips past the devil fruits abilities and deals the damage as if the DF-users body was normal?
While i dont like the idea, that haki is a simple damage-powerup, i also dont think that its just a DF-negation. If so, there would be no reason for the amazons (e.g. during the hunt for luffy) to use haki at all, cause they did not realize that luffy is a fruit user. Even the sisters comment about his DF just after a couple of haki attacks.

We already saw more than 1 way to use haki in defence, so i think its rather safe to assume, that we will also see different ways to use haki for offense. This would also make the whole system far complex than the standard "pressure/ki/whatever"-stuff, (which is also kinda foreshadowed due to the existence of a superior and minor "types" of haki). That could open the door to an awesome lot of possible combinations, fitting just fine with the overall-style of OP fighting system.