View Single Post
Old 2013-01-01, 06:56   Link #29
Traece
:cool:

Last Exile and Banner of the Stars are kind of contenders, depending on your definition of badassery.

In Last Exile, Claus doesn't really have a very tragic back story. Yes it's a sad story, but it's also very typical both in fiction and in real life and since he really doesn't let it bother him it's not really sad at all. His character stays pretty level throughout the series, but in some ways he is a badass in that he comes to terms with what he must do and does it with a decreasing amount of complaint. That's more of a respectable character sort of thing, but the fact that there's a war going on around him kind of makes it badass.

Alex Rowe from Last Exile (captain of the Silvana) is also a super badass in all respects without really fitting into any particularly cliche category. He's a man of mystery who fears nothing and doesn't really have any particularly obvious motivations (without spoiling things, anyhow). He's not the main character though, although I'd be down with a prequel where he is. Just saying.

As far as Banner of the Stars goes, I feel like Jinto can be qualified as a badass. Especially throwing Crest of the Stars and the OVA with the prison into the mix where he gets to survive harsh situations. Then there's the fact that he ends up going to war after having been sort of thrown into his position because of his nobility. I haven't even mentioned Lafiel yet. Let's face it, you have to be a badass to handle a classy lady like her.

I would also throw out the main character from Kamisama no Memochou who was a pretty cool character.

Honestly, I feel like you can muster up a sizable list. The issue is that those characters who don't fit are the less memorable ones who really didn't have a whole lot going for them or much happening around them. Honestly, I don't think that makes them any less awesome.