View Single Post
Old 2017-07-28, 18:04   Link #3609
judasmartel
*Author

I am not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I am very curious about why Japan is so strong in women's team sports yet are only mid-tier at best in men's team sports.

For example, Japan has already won the FIFA Women's World Cup in 2011 and made it back to the 2015 final, and they are also powerhouses in women's volleyball and basketball.

In contrast, Japanese men's sports teams struggle to get the same success their female counterparts have been achieving in the world stage. Sure, they are also powerhouses in Asian men's football, volleyball, and basketball, but are only mid-tier at best at the world level.

How come Japan is so strong in women's sports but not so much in men's sports, yet the most popular sports anime these days feature men's sports? I mean, KnB has players with superpowers, yet Japanese men's basketball in real life is not exactly at top tier even in Asia.

In all fairness, Japanese male athletes fare better in individual sports. Japanese figure skaters are among the best in the world (the current Olympic champion being Yuzuru Hanyu), and they also have the real life Prince of Tennis, Kei Nishikori.

Last edited by judasmartel; 2017-07-28 at 18:16.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote