Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-07, 20:29   Link #22840
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
A few months ago I would have felt pretty satisfied over Loughner going to jail for life, but after watching that video this entire affair just feels kinda depressing. So Loughner was an unmedicated crazed Schizophrenic who felt no remorse for what he was doing...and he only got treatment when the state wanted to put him on trial.

I'm not gonna dispute argue against the life imprisonment, but I think this entire affair should really indicate that the entire mental health system in this country is a complete joke.
This is true. He was only competent after being forcibly medicated. When you think about it, it is sad and messed up. With the right help, his crime could have never happened and he could be doing well nowadays.

Now that you point out these things, maybe the same could be said for James Holmes. I really question if he was so mentally ill that he was delusional when he planned his attack (and booby trapping his apartment), but what if he is really delusional from mental illness? If that were the case, that'd be sad and depressing, too. The crime could have never happened if he got the helped he needed, and his well being could be good today.