View Single Post
Old 2013-07-08, 01:05   Link #39
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
@Sackett I think you're mistaking with the light novel. The reason the light novel is not as great as you would like it is because it is translated to english unprofessionally. BT does a great job and the translators are great, but it's hard or impossible to translate a book close to as near as well as a the original Japanese version. When the author uses character names and events and kanji that have multiple layered meanings, it is impossible to use english to show this. It's a weakness of the English language. I speak 4 languages and 3 fluently, so I recognize some of the weaknesses of English compared to other languages. Here... you have to realize that Kamachi's novels are most likely written much better than what you have seen. We don't see the original version... you do understand that... The same author does the railgun manga after all. It's just that the railgun manga volumes sold in the US were done via a professional translation and even the volumes online were done pretty well and there is much less to translate per chapter, but the volumes sold are probably slightly better done anyway because they are obviously professional compared to people who are doing it that are not being paid.
If Sackett were talking about 'bad writing' in terms of language, then I'll second this somewhat due to translation challenges. And also, while 'show-tell' is ideal, sometimes, there are times when I don't see how it can be done for certain parts.

But if Sackett were talking about plot problems, then I somewhat agree with him. The power levels do get a little messed up and nonsensical at some point. But then again, it's hard to find a series with concrete plot-hole-less (in a pseudo sense in terms of plausability) explanations when the world-view becomes huge. Mahouka is still by far the best in giving me satisfying explanations to the world mechanics, though even that too became debatable when it touches bio-chemical stuff (specifically restoration on bodies lolz), where the author seems to lack sufficient knowledge in. Problem is authors can't be experts in each and every field that their story is going to touch on.

So the conclusion is that it's best not to think too much on these things
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote