View Single Post
Old 2009-03-28, 19:08   Link #57
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Surprisingly, animation used to be rather adult (and heavy with satire, adult themes, and political statements). The cartoons for children stereotype probably owes much of it's image to Disney and savvy marketers who saw an opportunity to sell directly to children.
The entire Looneytoons line-up was written for adults to show before adult movies in the 40s and 50s at movie theatres. Heck, even until the late 60s many theatres would show an animated short before the main feature (and the only g*d*f*ing commercials were the lobby concession jingles). They didn't even "sanitize" the cartoons for Saturday morning television til the dreaded 70s "omg, think of children" anti-violence crap started corroding away at Saturday mornings. Itchy&Scratchy is only a few pixels more violent than Tom&Jerry's overthetop mayhem. I'll catch the offerings now and most of them make me puke (Where's the Wheel of Morality? At least that was funny - Strawberry Shortcake makes me want to commit unearthly violence).

Rah, piss, moan, rant.... "yeah yeah sure sure, Hubey".