View Single Post
Old 2013-01-29, 07:17   Link #72
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I think Ghibli has two core problems:

1) Miyazaki is Ghibli. Ghibli is Miyazaki. It's kind of like Apple and Steve Jobs (and look how Apple is now struggling with Jobs passed on). This is fine, even good, as long as "the big guy" is alive and contributing as well as he ever did. But at some point, you need to find someone who can effectively carry on your legacy, and unfortunately, Miyazaki doesn't appear to have been able to.

2) With 1) in mind, Ghibli is too segregated from the rest of the anime industry for its own good. Don't get me wrong - I'm not making this criticism from any sort of ideological perspective, but moreso from a simple practical one. Ghibli probably has a hard time finding fresh talent because it cuts itself off from much of the talent out there that's interested in the world of anime. I can certainly understand and respect Ghibli wanting to "stay classy", high-brow, and family-friendly, because those have become some of the core defining strengths of Ghibli and its brand. But as KyoAni has shown, you can do that without totally rejecting the rest of the anime world.

Sad to say, but I doubt Ghibli will ever regain its past glories. Though I'd love to be surprised here.

Now, for a side-issue...

I thought Redline had a decent plot and a good story. Its visuals was definitely its strongest appeal, but it's not like the plot was full of all sorts of totally random stuff that made it hard to follow, or that the story was so flimsy you couldn't care about the characters. I cared about the major protagonists in Redline.

So to say that "Redline completely neglects its story" is more than just exaggeration, its downright false. I would not have liked Redline anywhere near as much as I did if it had completely neglected its story.
I'd hesitate to define KyoAni as "classy" what with all of the airhead plotless (and comedyless, so no calling it slapstick please) moe pandering they've taken kindly to as of late.

Though they seem to be looking up with Nichijou and Hyouka. And that one with the Chuu... long name I guess (but I haven't seen that so not sure).

Also to add, I'm not saying I think slice of life is terrible. But Keion, mainly S2, was not interesting slice of life, it was obvious moe money pandering. Fine if that's what you gotta do to file your taxes, but not respectable for the most part.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2013-01-29 at 08:09.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote