View Single Post
Old 2005-12-25, 05:37   Link #16
Uruz7

Seeing as how they are in a different "dimension" and this in a fictional universe to begin, this discussion is really pointless.....BUT being the big sci-fi (and real science) nerd that I am, I'll give my explanation.

I don't know Japanese so I read scanlated manga and don't know if it is as literal as it should be, but in chapter 178 on page 11 (manga-rain), the commander gives a more direct description:

Quote:
"Once that light is cast... The area inside the light becomes a completely separate dimension and impenetrable from the outside."
(my emphasis added)

No elaboration as to what kind of dimension. But it is apparently a "gateway dimension" such as the dimension that our intrepid heroes traveled through to get from Earth to Soul Society.

<nerdspeak>Now, from my sci-fi reading, tv show watching (i.e. Sliders), and more time than I would care to admit to reading theoretical physics books, I would say that the "Negation field" or whatever could be thought of as a variation on the concept of a wormhole. And since we're talking about people who are in "soul form," it would make sense that they can communicate between one dimension and the other. That's the basic "science" behind ghosts....that a spirit on one plane of existence can interact in limited ways with another plane.</nerdspeak>

Anyways, IT'S FICTION! Kibo hasn't given any narrow rules of the physics of his world so you can't really criticize it. It's entertainment, enjoy it!