View Single Post
Old 2012-10-08, 20:49   Link #396
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
And this is also why I never questioned the "purpose" of the scene, but commented how it was just cheesy to bring this fashion (thus giving a good emotional build up, but having a poor presentation as result).
It is all about a flawed execution used for an appropriate action taken in the said context: of course, it is an anime with a setup that require the suspension of disbelief to accept a moderately big leap in technology, but at the same time, the author tried to keep a sound explanation regarding the usage of the nervegear etc. The proof is that Kawahari still brought up the atrophy issue, knowing that even in his setup, it is an unavoidable consequence of the coma all SAO players went through.
(I started writing this before the edit so it makes a bit less sense now... )

In the end, if there's one thing about this story that seems to cause the most consternation in threads over the weeks, it's that the story is realistic enough that any creative license the story or anime adaptation takes will be criticized for not being realistic. If the setting were more fantastical or set further off into the future, I have a feeling that people would not be quite so uptight about this.

In any case, I'll just say again that, for me, even recognizing the lack of strict realism, I personally found it more powerful than "cheesy", and thought the presentation was good. But, of course, everyone weighs things differently, and that's why we have discussions...