View Single Post
Old 2008-02-08, 03:45   Link #901
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

I just marathoned this series last night, and I could say I wish I had watched it when it was coming out, but then I'd have to wait between episodes and have to come to these forums and listen to people nitpick over the nuances of each episode. So I think it's a good thing that I went through the whole series in one go without any outside impressions or opinions.

Japanese fans voted this anime #1 of 2007 and while I have not watched the majority of the other candidates on the list, I do agree that Sola is very, very good and could deserve that spot. I can see why a lot of people who would vote Gurren Lagann as #1 would not vote Sola instead. Sola isn't fast-paced with lots of madcap and hilarity going on.

But enough of other anime. This is about sola. Love the character design, love the characters, love the story, LOVE the atmosphere, and LOVE the music. It's a very sedate anime that you have to watch with an equally calm and serene mood, and let the story, visuals, and music sort of ease you in and gently glide you across like a lazy boat ride over a calm lake. Even the humor is of the calmer and more sedate kind, and the music sets the mood of the story and accompanies the visuals so adeptly. I think I could've cried if I let myself at some points but I didn't.

The ending was good, but I think the second DVD special was the episode to close the series with, as someone said reminded you why sola was good, and ended the ride with the pivotal moment that started the whole thing off.

So anyway, I applaud this anime and give it my, "highly recommended first-watch for non-anime fans" seal of approval.