View Single Post
Old 2008-05-08, 01:55   Link #213
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
There is quite a bit of difference from the approach to Seed. There, it was a retelling of Mobile Suit Gundam, while Macross Frontier is trying to recapture some of the tone and feel of SDF Macross while telling a significantly different (and different kind of) story. Two of the glaring dissimilarities are that the Vajra are the kind of mysterious alien race that got popularized in mecha shows post-Evangelion, and that the goal of SDF-1 was extremely different from that of the Frontier fleet. Even on a character level, the goals, motivations, and challenges are quite different for our leads.
I don't see why that is much different from what I ascertained before. Seed, I do agree is more loyal to its original story and motivations, but I think there's some similarities to Hikaru and Alto (born to fly, joining the militaristic effort due to desire to protect others). I do hope the earlier feelings of similarities will simply lead to a divergence later on. Though I won't mind if the similarities persist.

As for the Vajra, maybe it'll lead back to the whole aspect of a superior alien race controlling them and it may lead back to the feeling of the older Macross shows. I get a lot of Starship Troopers vibe from the show, especially if it's shown that the insect race is in fact... run by space faring insects. That and the whole home-estrangement of Alto that is also feels very similar.

Quote:
I just want to add that the fold travel time isn't instantaneous. In addition, there appear to be different types of folding, and the ones used by the humans in the Macross Plus era on down seem to be the fastest. Note also that even with Macross Frontier's lacksidasical pace, it has still managed to cover tens of thousands of light years in a period between twelve years and a couple of decades (probably closer to the former). Not accounting for the fact that they spend the vast majority of their time in real space, this would mean a minimum sustained speed of several tens of thousand times the speed of light.
I would think that's mostly due to the fact that they can't simply fold all the time. I mean, it'd surely be easier if it was like in Star Wars or Star Trek where they could actually do it instantaneously or constantly keep it up for extremely long voyages. Though actually, even the Trek warp drives were dependent on how long the energy could hold up in its engines.

And space whales? GUNDAM CONNECTION?