View Single Post
Old 2012-02-01, 13:38   Link #30
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
those who have no masters are called ronin but they still consider themselves samurai. if you've seen akira kurosawa's seven samurai they were all ronin, they served no masters but they were still considered as samurai. not all samurai serve nobility, some serve ordinary merchants who could afford to pay them, some serve bureaucrats, some don't even serve anyone save for their own clans. the samurai were basically elite swordsmen or soldiers who followed a certain code.

quite possible. but judging from ryuuma's background, he didn't seem to serve anyone save himself. he greatly resembled zoro in terms of personality as well. it could be that the term samurai is used differently in this case. it might be that samurai are simply swordsmen who hail from wano country.
You are right as well, it actually depends on which part of Japanese history does Oda want to reference the samurai.

The real traditional samurai must have a lord, which they pledge full allegiance to. Which is why samurai commit harakiri, ritual suicide by slicing the abdomens when they fail to obey their lords.

But over time samurai began to lose their lords from war, politics and also cultural upheaval, then the ronin started to appear. At this point we do not know exactly if Oda wants the samurai of Wano to be traditional samurai or ronin.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/