View Single Post
Old 2008-03-20, 22:08   Link #1055
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Okay, so lemme ask something, arc. All the times teh BJs have been penetrated have been cuts, stabs, cutting thimajigs.

So why not this compromies? BJs protect against impact/blunt force trauma, but lack protection against cutting damage.

To take your analogy of kevlar a few pages back as a jumping off point, here's my take.

The BJ protects against impact damage via magic. It could be field, it could be a barrier. Whatever, it protects against impact and blunt force trauma, much like how a Kevlar "soft vest" protects against impact and bullets.

However, because of the "composition" of the defenses, being tuned to protecting against blunt force trauma, this means that BJs are vulnerable to cutting damage from knives, swords, magical bug wings, bigass knife hook things, etc.

Before y'all start yelling at me on this, body armor - at least those sold to civillian law enforcement - consists of 2 types: "bulletproof" vests and stab vests. Due to differences in internal construction, bulletproof vests can be penetrated by knives (I've seen pics of a Gerber Mk II being punched through a Level II vest and into the ballistic gel dummy wearing the vest), but protect against bullets. Stab vests meanwhile protect against knife stabs and cuts but do not protect against gunshots. (Military Class IV vests, used by the US Army and Marines, protect against both threats to a fair degree: while a knife may penetrate the soft outerlayer of the vest, it'll have a difficult time penetrating the hard protective plate.)
First, that was an airblast, not a wing. Sorry that is the case.

Second, you'll notice that Kevlar is softer than say steel or the harder materials that make up a stab vest, but compared to a BJ, it is quite hard and tough. It is also THICK. You won't be seeing many things made of a healthy thickness of Kevlar fluff around like BJs do.

When you are as soft and thin as a BJ, you won't be doing much to decelerate any kind of impact - kind of like a T-shirt.

Quote:
Spoiler for Space:

Also, Assistant Commander and Executive Officer are typically interchangeable terms, though in Western contexts, Assistant Commander is typically used for high-level commands, while Executive Officer is the more common term.
For the last part. I was just pointing out, in a moment of fairness, how the usual (based on Triad) translation of the term jitsumukan kept us from seeing the equivalence until we saw the card.