Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru Season 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-09, 09:23   Link #429
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
Miyauchi-sensei's description of karuta is a key moment in the anime. The central insight, in fact, and spoken by someone who does not know karuta well. Which is why Harada does not say it. Miyauchi has made her own journey, as well.
I loved the moment when Miyauchi was talking about how anyone can play Karuta. It reminded me of the scene in season 1 when Kana said men & women can play the game equally.

Although technically speaking it is a bit idealistic as at least in the case when she said older and younger people can play equally this is not entirely true. I think someone older would have more of a chance against someone younger compared to many other things but young people still have an advantage in terms of speed & reflexes (the same I imagine as someone in better shape).

Of course I guess you can argue that an older player might have the advantage of experience. I can't remember where I read it but I did read that usually younger players take the championships and like the anime portrays a strong player can win for many years.

However all that being said I actually do ultimately agree Kana & the empress one of the most wonderful things about Karuta is that everyone can play together no matter who they are (well I guess as long as you can understand the poems). There really is a strong sense of community in the series. Where we have mainly focuses on the high school kids, we have met many other characters of different ages & backgrounds who have also showed us their love for karuta and that is a very beautiful thing.

I also liked the moment with Taichi's mom and that was very good advice she gave. Although I am not a guy I will try to remember it for myself.