View Single Post
Old 2010-12-04, 16:42   Link #20
Rickketik

Quote:
No, his designs are pretty simplistic and generic all around. They're nothing but rehashes of the same stuff.
I don't see it. Most of his stuff has lots of unnecessary elements in their design. so I can't call his style 'simple'. And yes, he reuses a lot of element's from his previous work. most artist do tho.

Quote:
I would agree with the whole simple is clean, less is more ideology...usually. But this really doesn't apply to Okawara...at least not now.
I already pointed that out, most of Okawara work aren't all that simple..

Quote:
Impulse, which is an extreme bastardization of the Strike design. Extremely hideous with a ridiculous combination gimmick that's so stupid they didn't even try. It's basically just...literally...splitting the gundam into three parts...no transformation required. Then his PS armor changes to different colors which are ridiculously ugly...I mean look at Launcher Impulse (forgot his real name)....what the hell is up with that color scheme oh my god.
You have to keep in mind that Impulse has to make sense inside the CE storyline. Impulse is supposed to be based on Strike so of course it needs to look like Strike and Okawara has to keep that in mind while working on the designs.

And it's not like Okawara can draw whatever he wants. Artists who get paid to do stuff don't always have 100% creative control, especially on such big projects like Gundam. And I've heard that Fukuda likes to get involved in all the different processes. For example, Destiny's design was supposed to be Fukuda's idea, the design was originally meant for Freedom.

Last edited by Rickketik; 2010-12-04 at 16:59.
Rickketik is offline   Reply With Quote