View Single Post
Old 2011-07-05, 21:22   Link #114
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Speaking of which, I'd like to repeat a query again, which previously I think got buried under commentary.

What specific examples of characters and situations are present in other series that Mari Okada has worked on in the past that makes them think the lack of character interaction between Ohana and Ko isn't a sign that the writer is working towards an ending where they clear the waters and separate? What about these situations make them comparable to what we've seen (or rather, what we haven't seen) in Hanasaku Iroha?
You're asking the wrong question, Roger, because I think your premise is fundamentally flawed. There's been more meaningful interaction between Ohana and Kou than between Ohana and just about anybody else - it's just that most of it hasn't been face to face. To be blunt, she's obsessed with him and dissecting her own feelings for him.

It's important to point out for the zillionth time that not all of Okada's series are romances (and this one isn't) and not all of them end up with a pairing. But when it comes to the shows where there isn't a "forever alone" ending, she tends to favor the obvious over the curve ball. The one that's always on your mind is usually there for a reason, and childhood attraction trumps late challengers.