View Single Post
Old 2011-07-09, 12:16   Link #277
BakaOnna

Awesome first episode. Probably my favorite of the season. It's also the only one that I rewatched. I've also been reading around and found that the lines the little boys were speaking off about how "the apple is the center of the universe" is a reference from Night On the Galactic Railroad. Also, reading through this informative entry, which I also noticed the 2nd time watching, there's tons of penguins to be found in photographs and drawings/sketches before they even appeared.

Also, this blog also provide some rather insightful analysis of the train imagery used throughout the episode.

Finally, to those complaining about the incest at the end, I'm pretty sure they'll be some sort of explanation for it. The brother only started acting strangely after she pull, what was it, his heart out of his chest. Maybe the whole "Survival Strategy" ended up changing his mind slightly? It would also explain his line before he kissed her, which sounded along the lines of "I know this is wrong and we are programmed not to do this". I mean, besides the morality issue with incest, the other problem with it is it causes genetic defects and mutations in the offspring, which would lower the its survival. Maybe the "Survival" part is referring to evolutionary/animal survival, where those that are able to produce viable offspring survive while those that don't, well, die.